VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Just bought myself a beautiful T4 on friday and im looking to convert it.
Looking for soemthing simple such as a bed and kitchen pod however as an outdoor instructor id like to get a boat or kayak inside side and storage under the bed for climbing and boating kit.

Raised floor maybe?

Im looking at you lovely people for your ideas on a simple ply wood construction and arrangement to make the most of the space.

Got myself a 1.9 TD 800 special SWB

Thanks all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If your after a basic bed base made of plywood, just get down the Timber merchants and knock up a wood frame and then cover it with 12mm ply and you've got a storage space underneath. The only problem you'll have is lack of head space and not much room to sit, unless you get a couple of swivel seat bases. I done this on a Hiace van i had in Oz.

There's a few guys who have posted on here, with a bed that folds up to the side of the van. I'll have a look later and see if i can dig out a link. I'd say this would be a good bet for you if your wanting to put gear in aswell.

We've got a set of Mazda bongo seats - They slide on rails, fold forwards to create a table, folds backwards to create a bed + they are crash tested and very good quality. You can't get much more than a few storage boxes under them, but you can't get much under the other beds either. 4 bolts a seat and you've got a empty van again! - This is why we went for em. T:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I work in the outdoors too so need lots of space to carry kit about. I took my inspiration from green geckos build thread.

an L shaped sofa that stops just short of the tailgate. This gives me space for my bike and boulder mat. Loads of kit underneath the bed and a cooker unit over the passenger side wheel arch. Works grand me and was fairly cheap. You gotta keep the bed/seat pretty low though otherwise its not very comfortable to sit in and drink beer.

Where abouts do you work?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I work at a centre called Taste for Adventue in credenhill hereford. Working manly with disabled and the naughty kids. but looking at breaking out some freelance so the van is my first stepping stone.

You got any pics of your van up dude? I will have a look at the other thread you mentioned i think ive seen it but god knows where :)

didnt think of the boulder mat gotta find soemwhere for that too :S

My other option was to just put a big storage box behind the bulk head for kit and stuff and then leave the floor as it was for sleeping and what not and then hang the kayak diagnally on the roof :)

Kitting it out in first week of march ready for the lakes that weekend :) Exciting stuff :)

Where do you work mate?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Originally i needed a lot of easy storage space and a bed, so came up withi this option - some pics here:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=92212

It had not fitted kitchen/gas. I had an awning and used gas stove outside.
It was very simple and did the job
(have since gutted it to fully convert van)

It would be possible to have a double bed and still have storage underneath

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I had a similar need from my van (swb)... I wakeboard but also I'm a DJ so I needed something that would leave me with storage space allowing me to sleep with all my kit loaded. But I needed the ability to sleep comfortably as it was used on a trip to europe this summer.

I have a storage unit up against the front seats and my bed folds up to the drivers side.

Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Try T4LIFE .......... There kit is excellent and they are on here . We kitted out our van , looks great and loads of space and storage .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts