VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys an gals,

I've not long been a shall we say "proper" member of the T4 scene until I picked up a 2001, Lwb two weeks ago! Excited doesn't even cover it! (As I'm sure other owners will testify!)

Now, I'm in the forces and currently in Belize... So all research I'm doing is via the trusty web, as I'm sure you guys can guess this for an audio piece of equipment is far from ideal! But the first job is to fit a quality single din head unit, I have a wish list of things I'd like it to be able to do (even if it doesn't come with it initially...)

Well here goes!T:

Good quality sound (Obviousl I guess!:D)
Have a relatively Simple interface
Plays DVDs/mp3
iPhone/iPod connectivity
Sat nav
Remote (for audio and DVD)
Connections for at least one camera
A lighting dimmer for those night drives (the mrs has an alpine that doesn't dim, bright blue lights in your face for a couple of hours isn't nice!):(
Bluetooth
Possible freeview hookup for when the tv goes in the back...
A good picture quality (not expecting 1080p or anything mind you!)
And finally, some kind of screen adjustment...

Yes yes I know, an awful lot of functions... But this really would be awesome!A:

Anyone have any experience in the audio sector, or have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

·
Registered
283 Posts
Have a look at the Kenwood KVT627DVD flip-out touchscreen headunit and KNR DV3200 sat nav add on.

Not Kenwood's latest offering, but would do most of what you want.
Can be picked up reasonably cheap off eBay if you are prepared to wait for the right one to come along.
Pretty easy to wire up: even I managed it:D

The sat nav unit sits neatly under the seats in a T4. Only slight downside is that Kenwood don't support it now with nav disc updates. I think the last one was 2005 ish, but I read somewhere that RangeRover Sport/ Discovery 3 discs work in it. Haven't tried this myself so can't confirm it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Boys,

Apologies for the late reply... you know how it is... I:

DSM! Yea, thats the badger! Airport Camp, although the Belizeans have cut all the surrounding trees down etc im pretty sure it hasnt changed much out here!T: We flew out here for the guys in the trees, was great training as im sure you remember! But were moving out as we speak back to the UK! (Budget cuts eh!)...
You also D... Have a lovely T5! where as i have a rather older T4 Lwb ;) I need a single din unit :)

MrBus, Oooo, i actually looked at the Kenwoods! what are they like?!?! any complaints?

Its either one of the Kenwoods or an Alpine like this...

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-alpine-iva-d800r_p-27180.htm

Cheers for your input boys! Still not sure what to get! LOL:

·
Registered
283 Posts
i actually looked at the Kenwoods! what are they like?!?! any complaints?
No complaints from me - the touchscreen is easy to use, dvd movie quality ain't bad and all sounds good with uprated dash speakers.
Sat Nav is very quick at recalculating routes if you take a wrong turn I:
Wiring is pretty easy although you have to run some cabling under the cab floor mat if like me you mount the headunit 'brain' under the passenger seat.
I'm pretty impressed with the technology, but then I'm from the age of the Philips Compact Cassette...........:D

·
Registered
882 Posts
Looked into this myself recently, and what I did get from it was avoid the cheaper end like Ripspeed. A lot of them go wrong and the laser seems to be worst offender with some pretty poor backup from halfrauds. Like has been mentioned above, the Kenwood and Alpine seem to be good, but sell well on ebay so you'll need to bid high to get in there. There have been threads before about slotting in a double-din where the heater controls are and getting a centre console to move heater controls to. Can be a pricey job though as you are looking at £100+, but then you must be on popstars wages with all that LSSA and LOA!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No complaints from me - the touchscreen is easy to use, dvd movie quality ain't bad and all sounds good with uprated dash speakers.
Sat Nav is very quick at recalculating routes if you take a wrong turn I:
Wiring is pretty easy although you have to run some cabling under the cab floor mat if like me you mount the headunit 'brain' under the passenger seat.
I'm pretty impressed with the technology, but then I'm from the age of the Philips Compact Cassette...........:D
The headunit has a 'Brain'?!?! well well, i wasnt expecting that! I was expecting the periferals such as the GPS reciever an such:* Joy... Something else im going to have to hide!
Ok, well the Kenwood seems slightly cheaper, plus im pretty sure a reverse camera of different manufacturers can be used, as opposed to the Alpine that come with this horrendous square unit thing!:eek: It was the Sat nav that i was unsure about on it as havent used a Kenwood system before!

Looked into this myself recently, and what I did get from it was avoid the cheaper end like Ripspeed. A lot of them go wrong and the laser seems to be worst offender with some pretty poor backup from halfrauds. Like has been mentioned above, the Kenwood and Alpine seem to be good, but sell well on ebay so you'll need to bid high to get in there. There have been threads before about slotting in a double-din where the heater controls are and getting a centre console to move heater controls to. Can be a pricey job though as you are looking at £100+, but then you must be on popstars wages with all that LSSA and LOA!
Yea Jim, I kinda guessed they were slightly gash!T: And i seem to remember reading about the whole double din conversion thing for the trusty T4 (Some guys talent and perseverance is seriously impressive!A:) However, surly it would be hard to see the screen being located on the centre console???

LSSA and LOA?! Being a gent in the know, im sure you realise they've been reduced since the SDSR, however flying pay more than makes up for it...Rasp:

Cheers boys, Kenwood looks like the fave!H:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ha Ha Airport Camp, I remember it well nearly 30 years ago
Love it, I was there in 93, the place is legiondary!

Is the Rose Garden still going or has it/is closed? Some ugly memories from that place and NO! No matter how drunk!:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love it, I was there in 93, the place is legiondary!

Is the Rose Garden still going or has it/is closed? Some ugly memories from that place and NO! No matter how drunk!:D
Hahaha, funnily enough it burnt down quite literally 1 month ago! I could get a picture for "prosperity" ??LOL:

The new Clarion range looks pretty good too, hmmmm...

Thanks for that info MrBus, will come in handy regardless!! I remain unconvinced by these Enion units that do all that for below 300 quid?! Ily experience if something sounds to good to be true and all that!...

Anyone used them?

Just entering my last week here... Sad times!:*

Take it easy guys

DT

·
Registered
812 Posts
I remain unconvinced by these Enion units that do all that for below 300 quid?! Ily experience if something sounds to good to be true and all that!...

Anyone used them?

DT
Me. See my earlier post.

I have 2 Erisin headunits, a double Din one in my Bora Estate and single din in my T4.
They work really well, both have DTV, DVD & Satnav :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts