VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone knows about this mod.

To me, these lights look more VW than anything else I have seen on a T4, reminiscent of the old days of VW models.

I'd love to do the same.

They kinda look like motorcycle bucket lights.

Any hint how to pull this off?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I wonder if anyone knows about this mod.

To me, these lights look more VW than anything else I have seen on a T4, reminiscent of the old days of VW models.

I'd love to do the same.

They kinda look like motorcycle bucket lights.

Any hint how to pull this off?

7" round headlights & mount-bowls?

like Landrover, Mini & mx5:*

Rich.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,467 Posts
LOL: Funny the skull thing!

Kind of reminds me of the 1970's Ford Transits. Really doesn't suit the T4 at all.

To answer your question though Perceval, you would have to build from scratch mate, as I'm pretty sure you won't find anything on today's market that'll just need modifying. You probably don't care about our opinions, but if that's what you want .............. why not!

Take a look at my 'Quad headlight Design Project' mate, it's a testament of what can be achieved if you persevere T:

TURK

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all.

Yep, to each his/her own. Myself, I like that look.
It's not to everyone's liking, but then again, what is!? :)

So, this would be a major undertaking, eh?

Yes, I saw your thread TURK, Kudos on working so long and keeping at it.

I don't have access to much interns of metal working tools, mostly dealing with wood here!

Again, thanks for the reply... if I get a crazy idea, I'll sure post back.

Cheers!

·
Registered
651 Posts
That's what i like about this forum, seeing everyone's different tastes and different touches they do to their beloved busses.T: :D

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
That's what i like about this forum, seeing everyone's different tastes and different touches they do to their beloved busses.T: :D

I like them because theyre different , sooooo many vans all look the same these days .
Its good to be different T:

Reminds me a little of a mk1 fiesta xr2/supersport with the round light in a square aperture.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Part of me likes, part me doesn't, I think the van needs some other mods to help tie it all in.

That being said, I appreciate it's something different and will have taken a fair bit of work to achieve this T:

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Very t25
Think it looks good T: find your local hot rod club and they will point you in the direction of someone who would make fiberglass pod for a lamp unit in there sleep

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fiberglass, I can do.

So, making some kind a bucket looking like this that would fit the headlight space?

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,467 Posts
Yup T: Looks like that part turned out quite well mate A:
I played around with fibre glassing early on in my project, It's fine if you're only making a one off or very few parts as I found it to be quite an expensive method. Not to mention wasteful.

Take a look at some older vehicles with pop-up headights as they usually have a 'bucket' or mounting frame for a single headlight unit. The Mazda MX5 has already been mentioned, or even the Triumph TR7 and the like.

The first thing I would do is to be on the lookout for the actual headlight units themselves, see what's available. You will need a unit that incorporates a high and low beam, and maybe the parking light all built into one unit. Or unless you intend on installing the parking light elsewhere.

Keep it up mate .................... the project looks quite interesting :D

TURK

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
I still think you would need some metal behind it to fasten the frame to and the adjusters.
Get the metal sorted, like has almost been done by ZworToo (or whatever they were called), in STAINLESS steel that will last longer than 5 years, and then sort out the "filling in bit".
Once you have a "stable" mounted headlight, the rest is just "trim".

Doesn't take long to sort the "trim" out....ask TURK. LOL:

Not sure you'd have space for the common 7" unit.....but maybe.

These "may" be good idea, but still have to sort a mounting out for them!
https://www.amazon.com/GENSSI-Round-Projector-Black-Headlight/dp/B019JCPTBO

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,467 Posts
That's what I was trying to point out Gaz when I mentioned selecting the headlight units first, as some units already come with a metal mounting frame, such as the Hella's below >>

Doesn't take long to sort the "trim" out....ask TURK. LOL:

Yeah, probably take a week or two to sort out some trim ............................... if you know what you're doing! I:
I'm now having to sort out the myriads of mistakes I've made along the way! I doubt that anyone would be able to get their very first prototype right the first time. Prototyping is an evaluative process, you may spend weeks or even months on something only to find out that it doesn't work! .............. so it's back to the drawing board. Then the damned things have to fit precisely, the end product must look as though it's designed for that particular vehicle and not something that has been modified. or even shoe-horned in.

I'd be interested in seeing a project build on these, what d'you think Perceval?

TURK

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
I "think" (sometimes), that a "one off" is maybe possible in a few days (weeks), but to have a plan to mass produce (in a SMALL workshop) is a totally different matter.

I built a Lomax 3 wheeler kit car, and managed to modify Cibie dual beam units to fit the standard Oscar (cr*p plating) spot light units.
Same housing as the standard Oscars, but needed to "adjust" the insides so the beams could be set correctly.
ONE days job....done in my garage against the wall.

NOT a job you'd want to do for the 100+ units you have on order!

BTW Pascal, as I no longer drive to UK every year, I don't think I want the "modified" units we talked about...I'll just go for the best! T:

Keep on Trucking (sanding!)
Gaz

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,467 Posts
Yup, totally agree Gaz T:
Producing dozens upon dozens of the same product is a challenge in itself, and to do that with a precision that only comes with high quality products is a brain-ache! Not to mention the modular design is a 'universal' design ( only one headlight mounting bracket to fit all the Hella units ), complicates matters even further.

BTW Pascal, as I no longer drive to UK every year, I don't think I want the "modified" units we talked about...I'll just go for the best! T:

Gaz

Believe or not Gaz, the most expensive top of the range that are the Hella 'Bi-Halogens', aren't as good ( performance wise ) as the 'Performance Series'. The 'Bi-Halogen' series are causing me grief right now, down to the fact that they do not include the parking light ( side light ) in the units, so I'm trying ( still :cool: ) to build them into the assembly some how. But there's no space left!? :*

Anyway, I think we've hijacked Perceval's thread enough for now :)

TURK

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No problem!

Actually, I'm more interested in old school looks, than the newer multiple LED looking like some kind of robot head.

More in style like this:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts