VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new to this site, first post, hope to have many more,

Just starting a t5 conversion, looking at site hook ups and wiring in a consumer unit which has scared me a little.

Then I found Eirohike mobile mains kit for £40 basically a hook up for tents, could this be fed through the vehicle and be used as a consumer unit ? Is this a simple, safe and easy way for hook up?
Just seems to easy !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
You probably need a 12v charger and feeding cable through door/window isnt a good option if you want to secure the van and its more likely to get damaged. Consumer unit and cables etc isnt much over £40. Also you would need to plug in lights/cooler/heater to the sockets rather than have them hard wired or 12v

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could connector be changed and fitted to the outside of the vehicle, the fridge could be plugged in permanent and battery charger, one free plug ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I like the idea that it comes with full instructions, I'll get someone to check it after installing ?

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
If you need 20m which is needed for some then you will need another one. 85 quid for a hacked up cable and some white plastic stuff? Cable is 20 and consumer unit is £20 get it fitted by a sparky anyway

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
What length hook up cable do you recommend ?

We used to use a 25m but found it abit excessive on most sites with lots of spare hanging around so we bought a 15m instead and carried them both just in case for a while .
For most sites we get away with the 15m and its lighter and easier to carry so we just stick with that one now.
I think on 2 occasions in the last 40 odd trips we have had to ask to be moved because the 15m wouldnt reach .

Also worth noting that a lot of the cheaper hook-up cables are 1.5mm sq and the dearer stuff tends to be 2.5mm ....i'd always go with the 2.5mm personally .

Its easy and cheap enough to rig a cable and socket up without needing to fit a big 'cat flap' on the side of your van like used in some of the kits .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts