VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just back from a great trip to Skye in the van.

The route and my stops are on Track My Tour, some touristy pictures on Flickr and a video I cobbled together below (hopefully) if you've got half an hour to kill...

It was as good as I'd hoped and great fun in the van and exactly the reason I have it. I used a few wild camps, using locations scouted on NomadGB and some brilliant campsites when I wanted the luxury of a hook-up.

My favourite picture from the trip - the gloaming over Loch Dunvegan.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello mate,

I'm also in Leicester, me and my mate are going up to Skye on May 23rd, we have no plan really apart from heading to Loch Ness first and seeing where we go from there.

Any tips/ideas etc?
Hi Simmo - You're the green van from Goscote aren't you?
Skye is ace - we had the weather and no midges. When Scotland is like that, there's nowhere better.
'No plan' is a good idea. You have to go and see the Quiraing and the Old Man of Storr - awesome sites and not too much of a hike.
The wild camp in the vid on Loch Slapin is amazing - turn off the B8083 before Kilbride and you'll find it.
The NomadGB locations all looked OK, but some of the roads are quite busy with tourist traffic, so best getting away from.
Carbost, where the Talisker distillery is is lovely, especially the pub (The Old Inn). It has a great (cheap) bunkhouse attached if you fancy a change. Good campsite at Dunvegan but the bar in the village hotel is terrible - especially on a Friday night when the fishing boats are in.
The whole island is full of tourists (apart from that bar!) so always easy to get a pub meal etc.
Both the road to the ferry (A830) and to the bridge (A87) are stunning. I'd recommend going one way and coming back the other.

I'll post more pictures later - they'll get you really excited!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone who goes to Skye in a campervan won't be disappointed! Before the bridge take the road over Mam Ratagan to Glenelg and camp wild on the beach while using 'camp' facilities in the community centre - yes, it's set up for campers! They have an honesty box which I think is great. Then an absolute must is getting the wee turntable ferry across to Skye. It doesn't get any better!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Fantastic, really enjoyed that. I paddle Canadian canoes (opens) but I can really see the advantage of kayaks for trips like that. Couldn't be more envious!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Fantastic video, must get back up there myself but in the van next time T:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Excellent Video mate from a fellow kayaker,

We are also heading up there for whit week, hope the weather plays ball!

Andy

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
yes, brilliant, thanks for all the effort, a lot of technical stuff there
did Outer Hebs & Skye (yet again) last year, ideal with the van. Scotland just such an atmospheric & charismatic place, that vid reminds us of some of the great times & places (oh those bothies!). Plenty of opps to get away from the tourists.
that journey home always a bit of a wrench though
well done

·
Registered
947 Posts
Fantastic video Mr Casual. Been to Skye several times and the Outer Hebrides as well - all amazing places. The thing that strikes you is the quiet away from the tourists, something that we rarely experience unless you take the effort to go to the wildest parts of the British Isles. This September we're going to Scotland, hoping to make Ullapool on the first day, stopping at Ardmair Point and then heading up to Cape Wrath. Should be a great trip, really looking forward to it. Your video has got us thinking about a Gopro - a great piece of kit. Thanks for your post. T: A:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi. Just been on Go Pro site and fancy one of them. Which model did you use?
Cheers.
Mine's a GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition - the latest model that I got a good deal on from the nice people at Alpkit. They are only limited by your imagination...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts