VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ever discover a band that you wish you had been listening to years ago?

All I ever new of Lynyrd Skynyrd was Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama , But the other day while watching re-runs off My Name is Earl , Simple Kind of Man was playing in the background and it sounded cool so I downloaded some tracks and am well impressed , good old three guitar driven blues rock . Simple Kind of Man is a classic.

Great for in the van , trouble is I always get places to soon when Freebird is on cos I drive daft in the guitar solo.

I got into Van Morrison and Springsteen quite late too ,are there any bands other people wished they had bothered with sooner?

spud.

·
Read Only
666 Posts
If you're into blues/rock then I suggest you check out ZZ Top's stuff pre 1981 (if you haven't already). This was before they
became mainstream via MTV.
Check out Rory Gallagher also if you get a chance.

:ILU: :ILU: :ILU:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got most of ZZ Tops stuff but will check out Rory GallagherT:

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
or you can check out 106.1 real radio xs,one of the dj`s lives near you,mike sweeney,

they play some good stuff,it used to be rock radio,but changed there name for more adverts and stuff.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
yea,they helped some old bird get hitched once i remember?I:I:I:

:D quality station thoT: since it became realxs signal seems to reach further tooA:

i agree on the skynard stuff,heard some on that station.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Dare I say it ? OK then, for all you younger folk who haven't and have been swept away by the Radio 1 " They're rubbish standpoint". Check out early Status Quo stuff up to about 1975. Piledriver, Dog of Two Head, On the Level etc. 'kin superb and homegrown T: Contraversial, maybe, but you may be surprised. And, yes after about 1977, they have churned out some commercial, weak cr^p.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Got to admit Mr Large Cat that the Quo has been one of the best and funniest gigs I've ever been to.

There's loads of fantastic music way back before the birth of MTV. Old stuff is still the best in my opinion

Zepplin, Free, Floyd, Hendrix, Skynyrd, Neil Young, Cream, Thin Lizzy and I can keep going.

Dare I even say it to wind the Cat man up. The Beatles Rasp:Rasp:Rasp: (not a favourite of mine by the way)

At least we still, every now and then, get something that breaks through the money driven drivel of an excuse for music.

·
Registered
636 Posts
gotta say love skynrd, goin to see em next year, check out some steve earle the copperhead road album especially

·
Registered
332 Posts
Do you ever discover a band that you wish you had been listening to years ago?

All I ever new of Lynyrd Skynyrd was Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama , But the other day while watching re-runs off My Name is Earl , Simple Kind of Man was playing in the background and it sounded cool so I downloaded some tracks and am well impressed , good old three guitar driven blues rock . Simple Kind of Man is a classic.

Great for in the van , trouble is I always get places to soon when Freebird is on cos I drive daft in the guitar solo.

I got into Van Morrison and Springsteen quite late too ,are there any bands other people wished they had bothered with sooner?

spud.
Dude, youtube is an amazing thing! im only 20 and Lynyrd Skynyrd are way before my time! obviously i knew of sweet home alabama, who doesnt.
But when I heard an amazing piece of music on the end of adam sandlers film happy gilmore i had to find out what it was, after searching tuesdays gone on youtube and finding lynyrd skynyrd i was hooked! :ILU:
my range of music just goes on and on the only thing i dont listen to is pop and death metal/ screamo type stuff.
i got everything else from old skool hip hop, RnB, motown, trance, reggae, indie rock, modern rock like paramore ect, old rock acdc, dire straights, zz top, deep purple ect, chilled out stuff like coldplay, james blunt, the xx ect, and obviously the beach boys, jack johnson, ben howard and everyone loves a bit of wild cherry-play that funky music T:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
gotta say love skynrd, goin to see em next year, check out some steve earle the copperhead road album especially
Copperhead Road, now that's an album T:

These days I'm into the Foos , Gaslight Anthem, The Misers, Seasick Steve, KT Tunstall, ...
and still listening to Lizzy, AC DC, Zep, Jackson Browne, Tom Petty, Stones, ........:)

·
Read Only
666 Posts
Oh I dunno ! It was the Beatles later stuff that was really ground breaking (from around 1966 onwards).
It might have been narcotic influenced but it was sure different !
Mind you, I like all their stuff, be it the early rock 'n' roll years or the later "far out" tracks.
I think either a person was a Beatles fan or a Rolling Stones fan.
Okay, I'm going to shut up now !

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
I think either a person was a Beatles fan or a Rolling Stones fan.
!
Often the case methinks. Sadly I can remember the Beatles on TOTP doing Revolution ( ok so I do like that !).
When I was a little kid I can remember posters up for The Beatles playin at a dance hall :eek: near us too.

I too will give it a rest now .

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
yea,they helped some old bird get hitched once i remember?I:I:I:

:D quality station thoT: since it became realxs signal seems to reach further tooA:

i agree on the skynard stuff,heard some on that station.
i know,i remember that,err.................. 4th august this year wasnt it.I:I:Rasp:Rasp:Rasp:Rasp:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts