VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all , im in need of some quite urgent advice
i have been working on the balljoints and lost the oil from the driveshaft, i managed to get it back in , but today whilst filling with new oil it started pouring from the driveshaft.
Ive had a look and can see the seal on the drivers side and looks to be a quater inch gap.

I need some advice on how to slacken off the tension on the upper arm as i cant seem to move anything or another way i could get the DS moved abit , please help if you can
thanks
]Andy T:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Make sure u have that shaft fully home buddy! I did exactlly that, but only had shaft in up to the spring clip, I drove it just a few miles & twisted the end of the splines!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers bud, ive tried and tried until im hurting ..... i just cant seem to move it , the gap just isnt getting smaller :(

and to top it off i slackened the torsion right off and the bars have popped out from the top. I managed to get one back in properly but im really struggling on the passenger side. Any tips for this ???????

if the driveshaft wasnt all the way in , surely it wouldnt line up with bottom balljoint would it :*

Andy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Buddy,

I did the same thing as you when I changed my lower ball joint in my case I ended up having to change the final drive flange seal. as the oil just kept coming out!! I also found that if you put a big spanner in where the torsion bar rests on its stop you can do the job without lossening the torsion bars.

Matt

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
good morning, does anybody know how to get this back in ?
i can get the top in with out the thread being in the ring,but then cant get the thread in the ring, and to fit it through the ring first it wont twist at the top to lock

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and this is what the DS looks like , it doesnt look home to me , what do others think ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the van is on axle stands , if i jacked up the hub would that relieve or add tension .... i dont get this torsion bar thingy T:

cheers
Andy

·
Registered
71 Posts
I found the only way to get rid of the tension was to undo the 27mm nut but that is a pain in the ass or wedge something in where the torsion bar meets the bump stop that way the bar is still underload but doesnt cause you any problems just be super carful as if it comes out they have the power to hurt..

Think you will find you have issues with your final drive flange as I did the DS is fine as it is bolted to the flage have a look at this thread.http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=172330&highlight="gearbox+seal"

I have workshop manuals on my laptop if you need a diagram.

Good Luck

Reagrds Matt

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok torsion bar sorted , the answer was to lift the hub which gave me more slack at the back, im happy thats done but this driveshaft is a nightmare. Those instructions seem abit backwards or that might be me , lol
cheers for the linky and diagrams will help loads :)

Andy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looking at the pictures I am guessing that it is the drivers side. looks like the shaft has started to pull out might be worth taking the DS off and seeing if the large hammer approach fixes it..

·
Registered
765 Posts
Again I bring you back to what I did! I only pushed mine in to the spring clip (so on about 5mm of splines) this WILL all fit together like this as I reassembled mine without realising & drove it!
I noticed a steering shake & within a few miles took it to a mates garage & we stripped everything back down.
I left it with my mate & he took shaft right out & disconnected stubb end but no matter how much hammerinmg it would not go fully home. I came back & he had the stubb end on a bench & it became immediatelly apparent to me that the end of the splines (last 5mm on the far side of the spring clip) were twisted in relation to the main spline!
I could not afford to replace stubb end so carefully took the last 5mm of splines off on my bench grinder, leaving the main spline to do the work.
All back together & just been busfest & back no probs!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts