VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started covering the insides of my van with insulation and lining.. then read somewhere on here that 'slam vents' must not be covered or the windscreen will blow out and ur head may implode!! :eek: Quite worried now 'cos I ain't seen no vents anywhere's?? :* Can some1 tell me where they are? - so's I can uncover them if they have already been covered up!

(T4 tailgate model if it makes a difference)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well the vents in mine don't seem to do an awful lot. Previously I'd panelled over both rear vents and closing the tailgate took a few attempts if it was the only thing open. Open a window a bit (or a door a lot) and it closed on the first try sweet as anything.

So while I'm redoing the interior I've removed the ply panels and checked the vents were completely clear. Still the same, difficult to get shut on first try. It's a lot of air to move with a tailgate, I guess the vents and the gaps behind the tail lights just won't release it all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the vents in mine don't seem to do an awful lot. Previously I'd panelled over both rear vents and closing the tailgate took a few attempts if it was the only thing open. Open a window a bit (or a door a lot) and it closed on the first try sweet as anything.

So while I'm redoing the interior I've removed the ply panels and checked the vents were completely clear. Still the same, difficult to get shut on first try. It's a lot of air to move with a tailgate, I guess the vents and the gaps behind the tail lights just won't release it all.
thanks for that... still dunno wot to do tho'.. should I leave it, or start pulling it all apart to free the vents :* Wot's the general view of others?

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
What do your doors shut like? If they shut ok and you haven't noticed a problem then there isn't a problem.
The vents just allow air to escape when you shut a door so the air doesn't act like a buffer and and 'push' on the door.
It won't pop any windows.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Dude, It'll be like scanners - screaming, exploding heads, glass blowing out like an 80s rock video... or maybe your door just won't shut properly...

Slam vents sound way cooler than ordinary vents though

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
the vents also help with air ciculation when you open vents at front or window the air tend to flow to the back where it will escape through the vents, well some of it, the rest just goes round and blows all the crisp packets into a mini tornado LOL:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jees!.. maybe we gonna sufflacate as well as implode :eek: Think I'll just drill a few big holes in the side.. or the floor.. or the roof.. or maybe all three.. gotta be easier than takin' all that lining and insulation and boarding out..
or maybe I'll just forget I ever read about bloody slam vent's and be obliviously happy again.. until a window pop's out.. or we sufflocates... or implode.. H:

Did I read sumwhere that there will be a meet in Porthcawl on the 26th or 27th Feb.?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts