1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all. We are're looking to lay down new g
In the kitchen. I think we've settled on tiles, but we
Sure what type. We have Indian slate in mind but we've been
Told that they chip away easily. Has anyone else laid tiles like these?

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Yes.

I like them. You need to seal them. and do it again now and then.
They are a bit more high maintenance that ceramic tiles or dare I say actual "welsh slate"

But they do look boss. T:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers spock. We're just adding everything up and the costs
Are frightening! And that's before getting a wall knocked through!!!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have laid a few slate tiles,just make sure you sort them into varying thicknesses as it will cause you a problem at some stage if you dont.Seal them with a product called "slate seal" and it will need doing once or twice a year depending on foot traffic.They do look good though and as for chipping,if they have a decent bed of adhesive underneath they will be fine,just keep a few spares incase.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Get Delabole slate, lasts forever. Sadly also costs a fortune.

My folks have a small slate quarry in the garden so used that for an extension; saved a fortune!

It's massive money that stuff.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Looks great, but not the easiest to lay. Like the other chap said, various thickness of tiles makes the job more interesting. Grouting is also a bit of a challenge if the tiles arent smooth.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I've got Columbian slate in mine, the merchant messed up the order and incuded one Chinese slate by accident - it's fine though - I guess you get different grades of slate, you want the very hard compace ones that you can't chip without a hard hammer blow - I suggest guying one test tile first. Just make sure you seal it well, and fitting on a suspended floor you will need to lay a good plastic or ply mebrand edown first as well as suing a rubberised adhesive and grout as well as meaving slightly bigger spaces between tiles - a pig to lay as you have to turn and flip each tile until you get the undulations and concours to best match the ones around it - think of a dry stone waller making uneven stones fit. Once down though will be tough and look great.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Keep looking on ebay, there'll be some welsh turn up eventually? i had some fitted 6 years still look great, floor tiler sealed them with a bit of a grout wash still on them though which irks me a little still...

Look at maybe laying on a sand cement mortar if youre laying slab type tiles as the thicker stuff scoffs up lots of tile adhesive and grout (mine was 30 sq m)and

I will say that was going to use slate throughout, but used Travertine in the kitchen and the bathroom, even though its a mottled cream/beige it doesnt need cleaning as much as the slate and does show up bits and dust and bounces back more light into the room.

I have in the hallway and hearth got some thinner black brazillian type slate and thats worn well too, no delamination or anything.

Some of the coloured silver reds and greys in the indian slate look lovely, they do look as if they might delaminate a little over time though.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies.we've been offered 22 sq meters of indian slate for
250 as opposed to 680 for welsh slate plus 600 for getting them laid.
So we need to decide which to go for. The cheaper soft slate or the more're expensive
Harder tile

·
Registered
484 Posts
My indian slate has been down for 10 years, and I seal it every 18 mths.

No problems with it at all, as above sort it into heights so you make sure that there are now unusually high bits next to unusually low bits, as they can lose slices of tile, but its not the end of the world if it comes off, as you just have to reseal where the slice of tile has come off.

Mine were very cheap in B&Q as I recall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts