VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Just tried to fit my shiney new bottom roller & arm from Tidy transporters.
Well, I had the door cable tied to the catch & looked at the mech.
I saw that there is a sprung thang fixed to the underside of the step with two large crosshead bolts. I took them out & the mech wouldn't budge. When I looked into the void underneath the thang I saw why. There was the following wedged in there: A strange red circular plastic thing, a few corroded bolts, about half a ton of earth & a spark plug!!
Once I'd got all that **** out (it was like an episode of time team "look! I found a spark plug from a 1970 alfa!") I proceeded to take these two bolts out & remove the mech.
Now, I then got the correct hex bit & tried to remove the bolts holding the roller to the right angle bracket. Can you guess what happened? Yep, the holes are now nice & round! :bhdhsy:
So I now have to drill them out. As my nearest stealer is now Birmingham, does anybody know what bolts they are, so I can source them from somebody nearer? (screwfix or B&Q or any other DIY place) For now I put the mech back in & will have to leave it as it is.

On the plus side, my door opens about 3 inches further now!!! H:LOL:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, Ive FINALLY got around to fitting my bottom roller from Will (Tidy transporters).

This was the proceedure I used:
1. Opened the door & placed an axle stand underneath the front edge. I had to remove the top part as the triangular bit was just the right height. Must add that my van is an Ex AA & it is not lowered.
2. Removed the step cover & the foam spacer pad.
3. Undid the two set screws (bolts with full thread & pan head with phillips screw pt4) that hold the hold open device under the step.
4. Moved the door forward so I could remove this hold open device.
5. Once this was removed, pushed the door back, so the roller was where the device was (this is so the roller will come out!)
6. Proceeded to drill out the knackered hex head bolts, using a 10mm drill bit. I stopped as soon as the head became free.
7. Once the bolt heads were off, the door dropped VERY slightly onto the axle stand & the bottom roller assembly just dropped clear of the holding bracket.
8. I removed the old roller & examined it. It was knackered (see pics below)
9. I placed the new assembly into the guideway & lined it up with the bracket, clamping it in place with mole grips.
10. I used new bolts (sourced from VW) to fix the assembly to the bracket. They are the same as the hold open device bolts (M8x15 pan head set screws - bolts with phillips head - pt4 very big - I had to buy a new screwdriver to do this job) Once they were nice & tight, I removed the mole grips. The door stayed in position.
11. I then moved the door forward (it was now clear of the the axle stand) & replaced the hold open device, using the original bolts.
12. I then swept the area clean & replaced the foam spacer & plastic step.
13. I tried the door for movement & line with the van. It moved VERY smoothly & lined up with the van. Top job.

The whole thing took about half an hour, that included getting the tools out & putting them back.
Before the door was stiff & I had to tug it to open & close it. Now I can almost breathe on it to move it. In fact I didn't know it HAD a hold open device, because I didn't need it. Now I do. My van sits slightly nose down on the drive & if I don't use the hold open device, the door will slowly move shut of it's own accord.
Anayway, enough of my ramblings.
Here are my pics of the knackered roller!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,319 Posts
Good ole AA T: I didnt have a spark plug in mine but there was loads of crud. It took ages diggin it all out of the solidified grease that was impacted in there.
I degreased it all and wiped it all out vry carefully as there was glass and all sorts of sharps. My roller worked better but the damage had been done and had to change it about a year later - I carefully marked the postion of the bottom bracket - mine had philps screws in there not hex star things.

Itook the door off to do mine - only to find I didnt need to I:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good ole AA T: I didnt have a spark plug in mine but there was loads of crud. It took ages diggin it all out of the solidified grease that was impacted in there.
I degreased it all and wiped it all out vry carefully as there was glass and all sorts of sharps. My roller worked better but the damage had been done and had to change it about a year later - I carefully marked the postion of the bottom bracket - mine had philps screws in there not hex star things.

Itook the door off to do mine - only to find I didnt need to I:
OOPS!! Oh well, live & learn!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top