VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you open the sliding door of my T4, the interior LEDs in the ceiling all come on. This is ok, apart from I can't see how to switch them off without closing the door!
There are at least 7 other light switches in the van which all control some or all of these LEDs, all set up by previous owners.

What I would like to do, is put a switch in so I can turn them off when the van door is open.

I have found the switch which gets pushed when the door closes, and pushing it in does switch off the door.
I completely unscrewed the switch (i.e. stopped it being earthed to the door) and found that the lights went off.

I can't get to the switch's insides very well, but what I am thinking (and this might be mad) is that I could put a toggle switch in circuit between the door switch and the van door. If the toggle switch was closed, the door switch would behave the same as it does now, but if the toggle switch was open, then it would be like when the door switch was closed, i.e. no lights on in the van.

Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't work, or can think of a better way? Does the door switch have any other function?

I don't really want to go removing panels and tracing wires through the van, or try to understand the lighting wiring :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Trippa, you will find that all interior lights are feed from a control unit which in turn sends out a signal when a door is opened albeit any door, which is why you won't find a switch. Mad I know but that's how they did it, you can put a switch in but it must be on the ground circuit, cause if you put it on the feed side it will cause issues and may give you blown fuse issues. Simple way is find the ground feed to the first light and split that via a switch, you need to turn it back on tho once you've finished to resume back to normal lighting.
Hope this helps.

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,013 Posts
2 spurious answers....both wrong!

As you think, simply putting another switch in series to the door switch will allow you to turn it off.

There is NO "control unit".....all the interior lights have a permanent + supply, and are turned on when a door switch connects them to "ground".
In the rear, that will be the slider or tailgate/barn doors.

If you GENTLY pull the slider door switch out, you should have enough room to splice a couple of wires into it to connect to another switch.

The only "control unit" is if you have the delayed light in the front (built into it).....that should not interfere with the rear lights.

Other way is Gaffer Tape to hold the switch pressed..... LOL:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.