VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the pins on the sliding door & the locating sockets on the pillar? Mine look like they are quite worn/out of shape. I have had the door adjusted so it shuts perfectly, but I think there might a knocking noise maybe coming from the bottom pin/socket.

Where would I purchase these if I need them? :)

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Yeah, they rattle like 'ell if they wear. Changed mine about 25000 ago. ex dealers, if i remember right about £9 each for the socket bit. The pointy bit probably wont be as worn. If the sockets have gone "oval" shove a large, flat screwdriver into them and turn through 90 degs so the unworn bit is in place of the worn bit, youll get a bit more from them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG!!! I have found a crack at the bottom of the frame, below passenger seat belt anchor point. This must be what is making the horrible noise! What do I do now?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes - I'm wondering if there has been some work done previously as the finish is not smooth. I am having rust done on wheel arches on 1st Oct - I will ask for advice on crack then!! I'll post some pics later

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
woulnt worry about it too much im a panel beater of 22 yrs thats proberbly one of the strongest points on the van ! when u repair cracks in plasic u drill a hole either end of the crack plastic weld . i would do the same on the body drill hole either end mig weld the crack and holes drilled and thats it job done help this helps T:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As you say, not going 2 worry about it too much. It has no damage underneath & I think it can be sorted (hopefully), otherwise my hubby will have 2 be sectioned! I've got floor & associated things 2 lay first anyway! Thx 4 advice

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes. There is no bulkhead. It seems to be getting more frequent now. Might have to have it looked at sooner rather than later - don't want it splitting in half!!!:D

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
hi looking at pics poss when bulkhead removed its been cut or ground to deep, its hrd to tell from pics but it also look like alot of seam sealer poss to cover where b/head was, you could remove sealer and see whats underneath, iwould not advise to use a grinder, try a sharp knife just incase someone has used filler. it is a strong part of the van, if you dont feel upto it have a good body shop check it, or maybe someone nerer could have a look, i know u said its a split have you tried to see if its in the steel by trying to insert a fine blade into it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Boscombesurfer - I manually adjusted top roller but had someone else adjust the rear of the door to bring it slightly forward. There are some adjusters towards the back of the sliding door - behind panel!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
might not be what you think and fingers crossed its just in the paint/sealer,was going to say that thr reson i thought it might be filler is because filler neck is nere there,
good luck and keep us posted , would be intrested to know the cause.:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well hopefully he's found the problem.A: "Certainly a weird one". He checked everything - suspension, fuel tank, chassis etc. Removed seal from sliding door, tucked an iron bar between runner space & step, put pressure on bar & hey presto, heard the noise straight away. Some weld points have possibly popped in the box area to left corner side of step. Taking in for a minor operation on Saturday morning. No need to worry about crack - told me it was original seal coming away. I'll post again on Saturday with hopefully more good news T:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A: not bad atall , keep us posted , :D:D if you carpet floor do step well and the sealer will be a distant memory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts