VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I don't know if this is the right phrase or description of component, but the rail that the door slides on, in the middle of the van, is loose, it isn't tightened to the body. I can't see any screws holding it in, so I assume it is held by interior nuts?
I have replaced the rollers before, but never a rail on the body.. Please, how is it fixed? I can't find the answer anywhere, but maybe because I don't know the name of the part. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
the stainless steel rail on the outside of the van?

if so its secured to the body with several nuts accessed from inside the van (sucks if the van is lined or converted)
the studs welded to the rail can snap off & the body can rot allowing the nuts to 'fall' through the bodypanel o_O

Rich.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. yes, the stainless steel rail, cheers.
I guessed as much.. boo, its lined, but luckily, not converted.. would it be totally stupid to somehow glue it to the bodywork, rather than remove interior panels, and attempt to either tighten rusty nuts, or replace or re-weld bolts onto it, or better to machine screw the rail to the body from outside, presumably countersunk, to avoid snagging?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
having bought a £1200 2001 van, and spending £900 on the MOT, I now find myself spending weekends underneath it, and around it, chasing problems, and buying parts..... reminds me of my old land rover.. not a bad thing as such, as this is currently more useful.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi. yes, the stainless steel rail, cheers.
I guessed as much.. boo, its lined, but luckily, not converted.. would it be totally stupid to somehow glue it to the bodywork, rather than remove interior panels, and attempt to either tighten rusty nuts, or replace or re-weld bolts onto it, or better to machine screw the rail to the body from outside, presumably countersunk, to avoid snagging?
You could try & tiger seal it to the van mate. you've nothing to lose really. As long as you have enough room to get the nozzle of the tube behind it. If it doesn't work you have the horrible option of taking your interior trim off anyway.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
having bought a £1200 2001 van, and spending £900 on the MOT, I now find myself spending weekends underneath it, and around it, chasing problems, and buying parts..... reminds me of my old land rover.. not a bad thing as such, as this is currently more useful.
you bought a t4 and expected it to be faultless?
OR
you bought a vw & expected it to be faultless?

:rolleyes: :p :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

but seriously, they're old vans now, they do rust so......

strip the interior-panel out & have a looksee, it's possible that someone has forgotten to tighten the rails nuts (has the van been painted?)

if it helps, we have a pair of 200tdi Discovery's and a 'Ninety' (TUL. FFW) and the t4's needed more work:ROFLMAO:

and our 'roadcar' is a 1993 B3 Passat that I tdi-converted and is wonderfully fault-free(y)

Rich.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replies, I have decided to go in.. and tighten the bolts, I think the interior trim is get to able.. I can hear the nuts rattling, and its annoying me.. I mean, not that much, if I turn up the stereo.. :p sorry, I jest. but they are loose behind, when the rail is rattled.
Yes, the van has been painted, but its showing signs of flaking here and there, I may or may not get round to sorting that out.. maybe paint it drab olive green and pretend its a land rover. haha.
My landy is a 1967 series 2a, so its a vary attention seeking mare. Now that has a (touch wood) home to rest in while i ponder its next move, I probably have time for the, probably many, little jobs the T4 will tell me to do to it.
Cheers all, stay ++++

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The good thing is, I feel happy about working on this vehicle, rather than others that have needed work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you bought a t4 and expected it to be faultless?
OR
you bought a vw & expected it to be faultless?

:rolleyes: :p :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

but seriously, they're old vans now, they do rust so......

strip the interior-panel out & have a looksee, it's possible that someone has forgotten to tighten the rails nuts (has the van been painted?)

if it helps, we have a pair of 200tdi Discovery's and a 'Ninety' (TUL. FFW) and the t4's needed more work:ROFLMAO:

and our 'roadcar' is a 1993 B3 Passat that I tdi-converted and is wonderfully fault-free(y)

Rich.
Sorry, I didn't imply that I expected it to be faultless, that just stupid..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Managed to remove interior trim and tighten nuts, so, was easier than I thought.. whereas removing rear aux seats, which were bolted through the floor took all afternoon... ah well, thats my exercise for the day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts