VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Caravelle has black sliding door rails on the outside (the waist high middle rail/runner) and they are both black. Needless to say I would really like the nice shiney stainless ones. Given that money is tight and I don't like wasting money I am thinking of putting some paint stripper on them in the hope that VW made one standard rail and just painted them when necessary. Before I do that can someone please tell me if they are stainless under the paint or do I need to buy new rails?

Cheers in advanceT:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Funny you should raise this we had the same conversation about ours yesterday, they are black with chromy bits showing through.. answers would be appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Magnet test. If it sticks you either have mild steel, a low quality stainless of a 430 grade or a high quality 316 grade. It is unlikely vw would be using 430 or 316 so if your magnet will not stick it's likely you have 304 stainless under the paint which will polish up nicely.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Slight change of plan! I went out to remove the rail this afternoon thinking it was just a case of removing the black end piece and the nut inside the door shut. I removed both but the rail was still well and truly secured to the van! This meant that I would have to remove the Caravelle inner side panels etc to access the hidden bolts/nuts - forget it, that is just not worth all the hassle! The fall back plan is to buy chrome mirror and filler cap covers etc to lighten up the side view :(

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've painted the shiny rails black on mine :p
Just masked it all off, gave it a scuff and some etch primer, followed by regular black rattle can. Still holds up great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts