VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been done before , but I couldn't find a definitive answer to my problem.

I was led to believe you could pick up the required + and - from the loom behind the end cap of the dash on the passenger side. Is this correct or have I dropped myself in the doo doo by trying to be too clever? I have made made a new roof panel in one piece and it has been screwed to the roof spars and it would be a nightmare to try and undo it all to pick up the interior lighting wiring.

Has anyone successfully tried this method before? Any info would be helpful.

Cheers

Dean

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Hi Dean,

Look for these two wires a brown/red and a red/black in the connectors (should be in the pale green connector) under the left front seat. If you have these try connecting your step light across them as that should be the correct circuit for the sliding door step light.

This ma only be correct for a T5.1

Does this answer your question?

Rod

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rod,

Not sure about that connector block, will look at the weekend. However, I did send an email to UPSPEX here on the forum. He said that there is a browny coloured connector block with the same cable colours you mention and I do have a tan coloured connector block behind the dash end cap with guess what.......yes, those colour codes......I'll post the outcome.

Cheers anyway

Dean

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Hi Dean,

I think that the pre facelift T5s have these wires presented in a Grey 10 way connector (connectors 7 & 8) under the left front seat, the wire colours are the same.

Rod

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm after doing the same thing, only when i look under the front seat i can find a grey connector block but it doesn't have any wires that are the colours you state Rod. I'm looking at the block to the bottom of the picture, is this correct? Any advice given would be much appreciated.

Alec

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys,

I had a response from Martyn (UPSPEX - thanks for that Martyn) regarding this problem. He was bang on. Firstly I removed all the under dash covers. this made accessing the connector blocks much easier. If you have a problem with broken drink holders now is the time to sort it as it is freely accessible at this point :)

There is a tan connector block behind the dash end cap (I have a 09 T5 sportline). Here is a picture with plug removed:

The two cables are as Martyn stated - black/red for '+' and brown/red '-'.

I had hoped these cables would operate the step lights only, but they are looped so that the cockpit light and the sliding door lights will operate when either the front doors or the sliding door is open, but hey-ho I can live with that.

Hope this helps

Will post some images when I solder all the connections tomorrow T:

Cheers Dean

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for that Dean, I too was hoping for the step lights to be independent of the cab lights but if thats the way it is, as you say i can live with it too.

Regards AlecT:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts