VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have trolled through some threads and cant seem to find my answer. Please help!!

I have a VW T5, 57 plate, with sliding door issues! I first noticed it when the little red light came on, on the dash while I was driving, warning me the door was not closed. I pulled over to check the door was closed and it was. Although it does look as though it is not closed properly and the rear of the sliding door is not flush with the body work. I bodged some duck tape on the warning switch which closes the gap between the door and the switch. But it would be lovely, and look much better if it closed properly.

I have tried cleaning the rails and sprayed synthetic lube on the rails and rollers which made it easier to open and close, but the door is still not fitting flush at the rear.

Can anyone help!! How do I adjust the door so the rear end sits flush? I am not even sure how to remove the panel that covers the rails half way up the body work.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Not sure I can help you specifically but I had a problem with my side door alignment and did all the cleaning and lubing the rollers. Then I found the fixing in the door that connects the piece that goes in the rail half way up had come loose. I had to take the door card off and get a mate to hold the door while I tightened the bolts from inside the door. It was very much trial and error but still wasn't perfect. I then replaced the top roller which did the trick.

Basically its checking the adjustable bits and some trial and error unless you;re a pro.

Hopefully this reply will at least act as a bump.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Spookily I'm having a similar issue with my '05 Kombi. Mine has an electric sliding sidedoor, and i've noticed over the past few weeks (I don't use it much) it's ceased to be a smooth close and has now got a definite clunk on closing, like it's dropped and is hitting the latch a bit wrong......
Got in the van this morning and the dash said the sidedoor was open, went and checked and it wasn't shut properly .... opened and closed where it 'refused' to close without assistance. Now the button I press on the dash to open and close it is lit.

I suspect something has worn or come loose. Where to look?

Proze.:*

·
Registered
534 Posts
I hung and adjusted my slide door from bare bones, ie it was painted so I attached all rollers and locators/ latches etc so had a bit of practice at this. Tbh I didn't find it too bad, try and visualise what you want the door to do as it shuts whist considering the motion of the door action. So wind in any screw rubber adjusters (lower) and make small adjustments only. Forget taking the rail cover off for now s provided the rail hasn't changed then you won't need to move it. Right, so if the back of the door is proud of the body then mark the latch attached to body (if you accidentally loosen it too much it will move all over the shop and you'll be back where u started) and move it back words keeping the height the same so when the door latches then it's further in.
Oh and after it's looking ok then wind out the round adj until it touches the body without pushing door out, obvious I know.
The tricky bits I found were the front of the door as you have 2 locator plates as well as the 'leccy pin connector. So when you move one you have to think of the others.
When you see the effect you're having on the close position I'm sure you will find it quite a satisfying task as I managed to get mine bang on everywhere.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hung and adjusted my slide door from bare bones, ie it was painted so I attached all rollers and locators/ latches etc so had a bit of practice at this. Tbh I didn't find it too bad, try and visualise what you want the door to do as it shuts whist considering the motion of the door action. So wind in any screw rubber adjusters (lower) and make small adjustments only. Forget taking the rail cover off for now s provided the rail hasn't changed then you won't need to move it. Right, so if the back of the door is proud of the body then mark the latch attached to body (if you accidentally loosen it too much it will move all over the shop and you'll be back where u started) and move it back words keeping the height the same so when the door latches then it's further in.
Oh and after it's looking ok then wind out the round adj until it touches the body without pushing door out, obvious I know.
The tricky bits I found were the front of the door as you have 2 locator plates as well as the 'leccy pin connector. So when you move one you have to think of the others.
When you see the effect you're having on the close position I'm sure you will find it quite a satisfying task as I managed to get mine bang on everywhere.
Mat, thanks for the info, sounds easy enough! will give it a go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hijack this post but how do you remove the panel over the center slider. Mind doesn't seem to be fitted right and it's making noises when i drive. cheers Ray

1 - 10 of 10 Posts