VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting windows fitted to my sliding door and opposite panel but can't decide wether to get fixed or sliding windows. Fixed privacy glass will cost around £206 plus fitting and sliding privacy glass will cost around £441. Over twice the price but will I regret it if I don't get the sliders? Plan on camper interior so thinking ventilation would be good and also good for rear seat passengers. Anyone got any advice, fitted fixed and regreted it or got sliders & don't think it was worth the extra cash?

All opinions welcome.
Thanks in advance.

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
That quite a bit of cash for that mate. If I recall I paid a fair whack less and got a free rear tint thrown in.

I had fixed in the door and sliding other side and it is well worth it. Especially if your cooking, etc.

May be give firstglass or AAW on here a call they are in Poole / Bornmouth so not
a million miles away from you.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Those prices are, indeed, a touch on the steep side. :eek:

However, generally speaking, I found the expense of sliding glass (even when not being fitted by Dick Turpin's window company) to be more than I could possibly justify, when the same effect could be gained by winding down a front window or two for free....... I:

Even if the weather is poor, then a pair of wind/rain delectors on the fronts will allow more than enough ventilation for about £30..... T:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
if you carry passengers in the rear , on a r&r bed or normal seats get sliders . the fronts been open dont realy give them the feeling of fresh air on hot days . there have been quite a few thoughts mentioned on this subject . my thought was i wasnt going to pay twice for windows by making a mistake of getting fixed ones . for the extra few quid its worth it to have sliders . my kids will tell you that !
kieran

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feed back guys.

edbluejuice
Don't know if it makes much difference but the price is for both sides in tinted glass not film and includes the outer seal, 10% forum discount and delivery from van sport. I tried firstglass but they only came in about £20 cheaper without delivery for the sliders. Will send AAW a PM thou, you never know, fingers crossed he might be cheaper.

So-kal
I know where your coming from, it's a lot of money and it all started as a reasonably priced project. Long story short Van is getting a full respray now so think the budget is out the window. Plan on holding on to the van so want to get it wright.

Kieran
Passengers are part of the plan but not all the time, very valid point about ventilation.

And the decision is........Sliding windows both sides, just need to see if I can get them any cheaper or find a second job.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bit late but some more info for you. I've sat in the back of mine before I bought it on way back from Plymouth vw fest this year and was glad the side windows opened as it was pretty warm in the back. I did have my sis's Labrador for company though.

Also now I've bought and used it a few times, it's handy to be able to get more ventilation when cooking with the sides open. Also it is useful to open the door window during the summer if it's really warm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Got my sliding window fitted (opposite the door) for about £300 if I remember rightly by Mad Workshop in Bristol . they did an awesome job of it too. I opted for the ventilation option for passengers/ camping. Wasn't sure if it is recommended to fit a sliding window in the door due to it being slammed or shut hard as it might fall out?? not really sure but i'm thinking of putting in a fixed window in the door one day...

Anyway, I'm really pleased with the sliding window option, and I think I would have regretted having a fixed window. T:

·
Registered
33 Posts
How are you all finding the sliders for water seal & security? - Im sure some brands are better than others for this, that'll explain some of the large price differences I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts