VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a knock comes here and then it does go when i put my foot on the brake pedal i have read about this that the vacuum pump pin needs replacing and some say the whole pump which is it can anyone let me know some people say they go on for a long time like this but i dont like the sound of it:(

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
its normally more of a tapping sound but it if goes with the brake pedal on it will be the vacuum pump, a new pin is not the fix but a new pump as its the spring that pushes the pin that wears out and cannot be remove the pin wont wear as hardened and in oil. dont worry it wont hurt as they tap forever mines been tapping for over 5 yrs and still fine it the most common annoying thing on a t4

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
If the knocking is accompanied with a vibration, check the outer CV joint on the side of the van the noise is coming from. I had this on my van & it was very unpleasant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
its normally more of a tapping sound but it if goes with the brake pedal on it will be the vacuum pump, a new pin is not the fix but a new pump as its the spring that pushes the pin that wears out and cannot be remove the pin wont wear as hardened and in oil. dont worry it wont hurt as they tap forever mines been tapping for over 5 yrs and still fine it the most common annoying thing on a t4
hi, i've just fixed my vacuum pump by removing the six torx screws on the top plate of the pump and cleaning out the oil that was in there. there should'nt be oil in there but over time it woks it's way in. this can be done without removing the whole pump and nothing will drop out when the plate is removed. it rattled for a couple of seconds on initial start up but has been quiet since. see photo you need to remove the vacuum pipe but that is only a push fit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts