VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello All

As the thread title really. Who does the slimmest pop tops for a SWB T4. I've seen pics for a few that look like an upside down planter plonked on top which I think does the van no justice. I don't mind what it looks like when it's up only when it's down in the driving position.

My current preference is for a front lifting roof.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
How dare you call my Van a planter...I:..:D

·
Registered
775 Posts
im currently looking into the same thing and the slimmest one i have found is a side elevating one and its one horsvw sells on ebay for £950 fitted which i think is a bargain and he has alot of good feedback

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
im currently looking into the same thing and the slimmest one i have found is a side elevating one and its one horsvw sells on ebay for £950 fitted which i think is a bargain and he has alot of good feedback
Can't find that on ebay..:*:*

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Definately not very flat, and no strengtheners put in the sides...I think he uses same top as 'Westdubs' (though I may be wrong on that point)

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Hilo do a very slim roof infact when they are down they look like a normal van, please note i have nothing to do with the company,i just saw them at a show,and picked up a leaflet. there web ad is http://www.hiloroofs.co.uk/

There are other threads on the forum about 'Hilo' and questions about their quality, though I believe they are working on those.. and of course they only supply, so it is dependent on the competence of the fitter..

·
Registered
134 Posts
I looked at the HILO roofs at Harewood , but at present there only doing T5's from what I understand.
but a very nice product all the same.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hilo only seem to be doing T5's. Shame but that seems to be a dead end at the moment.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definately not very flat, and no strengtheners put in the sides...I think he uses same top as 'Westdubs' (though I may be wrong on that point)
Better than some I've seen for sure and the price is certainly attractive, or worth a second look at least.

What did you mean by side strengtheners please?

Not sure on the side lifters though. I think I prefer the front elevating roofs. I'm not going to have the standard units down the side of the van option.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh i forgot to mention that I want the bed boards too. They doesn't seem to be anything on them on the Westdubs site.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Better than some I've seen for sure and the price is certainly attractive, or worth a second look at least.

What did you mean by side strengtheners please?

Not sure on the side lifters though. I think I prefer the front elevating roofs. I'm not going to have the standard units down the side of the van option.
Stew puts galvanized sections down each side to add stability to the roof as it is compromised by cutting the roof out..these are also the part you rest your bed boards on..as in photo

Oh i forgot to mention that I want the bed boards too. They doesn't seem to be anything on them on the Westdubs site.
Stew doesn't do anything to do with the bed(£1000 remember)..that is left for you to sort out, and it's not that hard for anyone with diy skills,,see my profile photos

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Westdubs look quite thin that's why I'm opting for one
Some would say its not that thin compared to others on the market..but are the thinner ones as strong??

sorry about Bird sh!t

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll admit they look half decent.

And thanks for the pointers to your photo album. I've also just seen the Westdubs thread. Again good stuff

One thing that does bug me a little bit though is the roof extends pretty much all the way forward but the hole in the roof only comes as far as the cab. Others seem to come further forward than that.

It seems the devil is in the detail here and as always there is always some degree of compromise.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I'll admit they look half decent.

And thanks for the pointers to your photo album. I've also just seen the Westdubs thread. Again good stuff

One thing that does bug me a little bit though is the roof extends pretty much all the way forward but the hole in the roof only comes as far as the cab. Others seem to come further forward than that.

It seems the devil is in the detail here and as always there is always some degree of compromise.
The reason the hole in the roof stops at the B pillar on the side opener is because that is where the cross frame goes across the Van and that is where the Gas Strut attaches..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts