VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing my pre road trip maintenance this weekend as im off to croatia and back for 3 weeks, and did an oil n filter change along with fuel filter as it was all due and being of the fiddly nature and a learning mechanic i happened to tweak on my throttle cable on the fuel pump and noticed it was rather slack,very slack, so much so i noticed the little man-nipple-like-bolt it sat on had lost its nut on the under side, i could even lift the cable with all that slack right out of the pump! Dangerous really, so since im rescuing a van and doing one up due to this place I had a spare pump about and nicked the nut n bolt, sorted. A:

But what gave me my performance boost was tightening this cable up with the adjuster, wow, it feels like a new van, bear in mind i have a 2.4d aja lwb, no longer do i have to ride about with my foot on the floor and it actually has power available now, i even went up a hill still accelerating! :eek:

Ok so i just went on a bit, moral of the story, check your van even if you arent a wonderful mechanic, tighten the cable or even replace and you will be amazed at the power gains! T:

Ps sorry i shoulda took pictures nevermind. ;)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Well that brings back memories. My old 2.4 Caravelle had a cable break on me (This was around 14 years back). The RAC called out and towed me home. The next morning he fitted a replacement cable, said he had left me a little extra room.

Like you it drove like a new wagon and with the extra room the top speed moved up by an extra 5 or 6 mph. I had been driving around with it so loose it was like putting a block under the accelerator pedal.

Happy driving thereT:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey there peeps. Im both a forum and a T4 noob so apologies in advance. I have just taken charge of a 1997 coverted 1.9tdi. I have got similar pedal issues. pedal is very heavy and response is quite slow. How will I know if its a new cable, more slack or more tightening to sort it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just sorted mine out three days ago and it drives now like a van with 40 more BHP...... Had my 19.td T4 for a year, with poor throttle response and unable to get up hills....I but it down to just being how they are supposed to be.....NOPE... Got onto the lever at the diesel pump and revved it.... perfect?... got to the throttle pedal end and and different van.... Took off cable able really oiled it well (despite it feeling very loose and nothing wrong with it), oiled all joints of throttle pedal itself.... Took up the slack at the Pump end (10 second job). and BINGO..Can now pull away from a standstill without making it sound like i'm on the startting grid of Monarco.... YIPEE. Honestly a different van....T:T:T:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanx jonny. I would try and look myself but I am not very mechanically skilled. I know and can do basics. Its with my mechanic for a thourough going over + service. I gave him a list which included the accelorater. I will see what he.can do

1 - 5 of 5 Posts