VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
"Is this normal as it’s not an injection engine? "

Err....it is.....

The 2.4 is a "tractor" engine, will run forever if maintained...but it's a common problem to slow down on "hills"...on mountains...well !
People talk about having to change down on motorways..hilly Scotland is gonna be worse.
I'd hate to have one in Norway!
Ah thanks. So it’s normal for this engine.
that’s good news. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
123 Posts
The 2.4 D is rated at 77hp and a 2.5 tdi(AJT) is rated at 88hp so there is a difference but not that great .The AJT is fast enough unladen and mine will tow a one ton caravan (total 2 1/2 ton ) up Glen Ogle ,long climb about 1 in 12 ,at about 40mph in third gear ,so the 2.4D should pull itself alone ,if working right ,up 1 in12 at at least 40 in third .Scottclimb, you probably know it ,from Lochearnhead to Killin ,similar to Rest and Be Thankful only a bit longer .The AJT used to tow a boat of about 1 1/4 tons up the Rest at about the same speed .Hope these comparisons help you to see what you might expect .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The 2.4 D is rated at 77hp and a 2.5 tdi(AJT) is rated at 88hp so there is a difference but not that great .The AJT is fast enough unladen and mine will tow a one ton caravan (total 2 1/2 ton ) up Glen Ogle ,long climb about 1 in 12 ,at about 40mph in third gear ,so the 2.4D should pull itself alone ,if working right ,up 1 in12 at at least 40 in third .Scottclimb, you probably know it ,from Lochearnhead to Killin ,similar to Rest and Be Thankful only a bit longer .The AJT used to tow a boat of about 1 1/4 tons up the Rest at about the same speed .Hope these comparisons help you to see what you might expect .
Thanks and I do know the area. I was down there a couple of weeks back. I’m maybe expecting too much from it. I was talking about steeper gradients. Torridon to diabeg for instance. Had to go in first gear approaching the viewpoint. Don’t know if you’ve been there?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Would it be advisable to consider remapping. I do like to keep things as original as possible but if it’s something that’s going to improve torque I may consider it? Anyone had this done?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dont know anything about mapping ,sorry. But does basic performance fit in with the examples I gave .Should fly up a hill such as Ogle without a load ? .Really steep stuff you often cant maintain speed because it is too twisty

21 - 26 of 26 Posts