VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a small (cheapish) 4x4 for the Mrs to do school runs, trips to town Etc.

we're 'oop norf' in the country (aberdeenshire) so it will have to cope with un-gritted/ploughed country lanes, *sometimes* a 2 mile farm track and duel carriagways

any recommendations or things to avoid? - hoping to spend around £5k max (hopefully less!!)

I was thinking a kangoo trekka - anyone had any dealings with these or the 4x4 version:confused:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

thought about the freelander but am a bit worried about the running/upkeep costs as we'd only be able to afford an older higher mileage model (will def. do some research into it though)... wouldn't mind a navara (Et. Al.) but it's for the Mrs so she needs to be able to reverse park it (gawd help us all - lol)

will only be used for short runs 10-15mile trips so doesn't need to be flash just small... and cheap... and reliable... and safe... and reverse parkable... and?

·
Registered
378 Posts
freelanders are a nightmare and are not built as strong as the discovery or defender.
i would recommend a toyota rav4 because they're bullet proof. especially the diesel and they average 38mpg round the doors and around 44mpg on a run.
or another good option is the suzuki grand vitara but the older diesels arn't as refined as the rav4.
good luck!T:

·
Registered
248 Posts
had a small subaru forester, same size as a normal estate car bit higher off the ground, and its awd, all wheel drive, so no having to select 4 wheel drive its permanant.. i have to say it was a very good car and never had a problem with it, worth a thought if you dont want a standard size 4x4.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Had a Diesel Rav4 the most unreliable car I ever have had, they suffer from DMF clutch problems at low milage, mine went at 35K miles and again at 55K miles, also at 53K water pump went destroying the top end of the engine.

The troubles on mine started at 1500 miles, and was off the road for months waiting for parts.

Look up on the Toyota Forum, the MPG is OK compared with the petrol version, which is only about 22MPG.

DONT BUY ONE.

I had an old 12 Year old Vitara 1.6 over here, cheap as chips to run, reliable and easy to repair, and excellent off road.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I have a Rav 4, (petrol) had them for 6 years. Great all rounders. Plenty on the market at varying prices. Only main thing we've had to do was the front shock absorbers...:D

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
My missus loves her X-Trail. Around 40mpg from the 2.4 turbo diesel and well refined and comfy, great on longer runs too. Road holding is great too, and comfort is much better than a vitara.

If it's any bonus my Mrs parks it better than she did her Fabia VRS. Insurance isn't bad too.

Not sure about the Kangoo 4x4's, they are quite rare aren't they? Parts might be something to consider if you go down that route maybe :*

I did have a Subaru Justy AWD many moons ago. Great little car (apart from the rust!) and cheap to run. Probably bit like the Kangoo now though as there never seemed too many about.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Wife had a petrol RAV4 for the last 7 years... one of the older shape ones, on a P plate

Totally, 100% reliability, one rear silencer and a number of tyres, routine servicing and possibly a brake light bulb - it simply never, ever went wrong even slightly - just fantastic, the best reliability ive ever encountered,

However - fuel economy was only 24ish, which is rubbish for a small car, but when you're not paying out for repairs it doesnt matter so much!

Oh, actually, it had a battery last year too.

However - I'll put another vote in for the Forester - they win lots of awards, look really bland but everyone with one loves them, a colleague has had one for about three years and is well pleased.

I'll +1 to all the freelander comments too - theyre rubbish!

Personally - I'd be more tempted by an SWB Pajero for cheap 4x4 purchase - My LWB one was also brilliant for all the time I had it, and was bizzarely better on fuel than the RAV (though still not brilliant), a lot of car for the money.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
many thanks for the replies - very helpful indeed :)

looking like the Rav4 is currently the forerunner with the FreeLander gone NonLander.... will start the pre-lim search

running costs won't be a huge problem as i reckon it'll only cover 4-5000 miles a year (i.e. no long journeys... am getting a syncro for that)... low mileage per year got me started on the cheaper options (i.e. a 05 fsh 70k miles for £4k on ebay started me thinking.....TREKKA (lol))

anyway got enough info now to at least start the looking/pricing up process (gawd i hate lookin for new motors!!!)

cheers

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
the p reg (ish) rav 4 are really reliable. but only available in petrol and well bit old now.
the later shape diesel rav4 can suffer from dmf failure (but most cars with dmfs tend to)
the newist shape are nice but dont buy one with runflat tyres (these are peobly out of you price range anyhow)

but are the likes of rav4 freelander, forester etc gonna be suitable for your needs? sounds like you may need a full blown 4x4 with proper diff locks and low rations etc etc?

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I'm in the same boat at the moment.

My wife needs a 4x4 to tow a horse trader but it also needs to be as cheap as possible to run and insure and economy also needs to be good.

For a budget of £5k you should be able to get a good Nissan X-Trail diesel.

I have compared these to all the other options mentioned and they win on all counts. Read the buying and running advice here on What Car:-

http://www.whatcar.com/search/@22nissan+x-trail+4x4+(01-07)@22/used-car-reviews/

Also compare the other models you are interested in such as Rav4 and Forrester and I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the X-Trail option T:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
many thanks for the replies...

and for those who are interested...

panda - too small
kangoo - too fugly
all the others... too 4x4 looking:*

so at the moment after looking through ebay Et. Al. it's looking like the

(drum roll)

Suzuki Ignis

had a trawl around and it seems to get good reviews with the added bonus of low insurance group.

so... long story short.... we're going to look for one at the weekend.... in tesco car park (going to drive around till we find oneI:)

will probably be too yellow or something:confused:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Don't forget though those little Suzukis are made out of bacofoil LOL: or at least they used to be....

My dad used to have a Swift and I kid you not I've encountered sturdier baking trays than that car. It was back in 91ish so hopefully they have at least doubled the panel thickness since then I:

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
I would spend a little less and get something older.. I've had Nissan 4x4, Diahatsu 4x4, Cherokee 4x4, vauxhall 4x4 and more.. Im a game keeper so they get treated mean...
All are gonna cost you to run so i would spend a little less to start with. Buy an L200 they are getting cheaper and are good motors :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts