VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a plan.
I need to replace my current battery, I'd also like to install a leisure battery,

HERE'S A DIAGRAM OF THE PLAN

for the starter battery i would like to use the absolute smallest bare minimum size for reliable, everyday van use - it just needs to get her started, that's it.

can anyone recommend one?

B

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
someone on here makes twin battery trays which fit exactly where your existing battery is just now,allows you to fit leisure battery alongside existing battery without changing size etc,

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool - I'll def need one of those,

still not sure what spec battery to go for though, I've found a tech article on deep cycle batteries but i don't think this answers my question.
Since Ive got to buy a new starter battery anyway i would like to get a really good quality one but no bigger than absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like the smallest batteries so as not to put too much unnecessary weight over one corner of the vehicle, it literally needs to start the engine - thats it - then the split charge system is going to prioritise recharging that before charging the leisure battery - which isn't going to be huge either.

I'd like to rewire the stereo and rear cabin lights so that they run from the leisure battery, cos thats all i really use when camping, that and maybe a phone charger - then i know i can run them till they're done without running the risk of not being able to start the engine - also i think the reason i need to replace my current battery is because i have flattened it whilst camping - regular non-deep-cycle car batteries don't like being flattened (right?)

Obviously the size of the leisure battery will just dictate how much radio and light useage i get but i expect the starter motor battery has some fundamental necessities....

....so....

....can anyone recommend a small, high quality, reliable battery that meets the vans minimum needs?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the help, Ive put in an 096 Varta battery - cost £65 and I've ordered about £100 worth of bits from Raw Components inc the basic intelligent split charge system
I reckon I'll get the Lesh battery that Spock suggested and I'll try and wing it with my dad's welding kit as far as a battery tray goes. I'll update with my sucess/failure. B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts