VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie Alert!

First post so apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place etc.

I'm looking at smart chargers and hopefully you guys might be able to answer a few things for me.

Running a T5 with standardish electrics. (12V compressor fridge, few LED lights and some USB sockets)
Got a Durite 140a VSR and a 110ah SMF Leisure battery.

Looking at the Victron IP165 12/15 or the Ctek MXS7.0.

Will I be able to use my 12v kit whilst plugged in to EHU? Will the Battery still charge while running these items?
Does the charger need to be switched to PSU mode/Charger mode or does it do it automatically?

Is the 15amp charger overkill for what I'm running or will a 5/6/7/10amp be man enough?

Can I leave the charger connected all the time as I'm guessing it wont be charging until I plug in to EHU?

Finally (promise) Will I need anything else apart from the smart charger?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a similar set up to you, but with a diesel hob/heater in addition.

I use the Victron 12/10 (10 amp) charger & it's been fine.

Mine is permanently plugged in a 240v socket in the van and is left there all the time, once on hookup, it charges the battery and provides 12v to the van.

I also use a small (fairly quiet!) generator & the Victron works well with that.

There is a member of this forum "Uspex" https://www.travelvolts.net/ always very helpful with advice & sells the Victron range.
I have also bought a charger from him for a previous van & have always been happy with his service.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Newbie Alert!

First post so apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place etc.

I'm looking at smart chargers and hopefully you guys might be able to answer a few things for me.

Running a T5 with standardish electrics. (12V compressor fridge, few LED lights and some USB sockets)
Got a Durite 140a VSR and a 110ah SMF Leisure battery.

Looking at the Victron IP165 12/15 or the Ctek MXS7.0.

Will I be able to use my 12v kit whilst plugged in to EHU? Will the Battery still charge while running these items?
Does the charger need to be switched to PSU mode/Charger mode or does it do it automatically?

Is the 15amp charger overkill for what I'm running or will a 5/6/7/10amp be man enough?

Can I leave the charger connected all the time as I'm guessing it wont be charging until I plug in to EHU?

Finally (promise) Will I need anything else apart from the smart charger?
I run exactly what you are specifing works fine, only difference is my Ctek is a different model and a different battery but still 110amps also I have a small solar panel installed

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
A quick note I was advised by a large battery distributor/wholesaler to go with the Ctek but this was against the genius charger so I can’t comment on the victron.
But as has been said it comes very highly recommended by an experienced installer on here T:

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
I run exactly what you are specifing works fine, only difference is my Ctek is a different model and a different battery but still 110amps also I have a small solar panel installed
Slightly off topic I know but could you please explain all of the cables coming off the +ve and -ve terminals on your battery? Very neat install I must say!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Slightly off topic I know but could you please explain all of the cables coming off the +ve and -ve terminals on your battery? Very neat install I must say!
Sure
Off the + we have Split charge, Rear fuse Mod, Battery charger and Battery monitor and Solar
Off the N we have ground, Battery monitor and Battery charger

Hope that answers your Question:)

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,251 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts