VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My mates got one and likes it and I've just bought one :)

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Fitted loads of these - They work well only ever replaced one knackered one and that was on my van:eek:

When we need to switch more amps we just use the smart-com wired up to trigger a standard 70a 4 pin relay - way cheaper than most high amp self switching kits.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I bought one last year and it seemed a bit too simple and cheap looking at the other kits that are available with relays and connectors n stuff but it seems to work very well. No complicated or extra wiring or bits.

I like it!

Smokey.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I looked at these items when I was planning my install. I wasn't sure it was that simple to fit.
I didn't know if it needed cables going to the alternator or other items. That was why I went for the dual sense 125amp VSR. Very simple to fit. Gives me the option to charge the batteries from the alternator (when driving) & from the battery charger (when hooked up).

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Zmok, im looking at this split charge relay, what kind of situation do you mean when you say "when you need to switch more amps", is that for when using higher amp equipment connected to the leisure battery ?
Can the smartcom be permanently wired to a 70a relay and still work as it should ?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
For example if you use a large inverter and flatten the leisure battery - Then start the vehicle with the inverter on. curent will flow down your split charge wiring at around 70a to power your inverter.

If you're leisure battery like mine has a coupe of lights and a fridge connected to it then use just the smart com and all will be fine.

If you use a 70a relay then just use the smartcom as the trigger for the relay then you dont need to find any alternator wiring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi can someone tell me where im going wrong with this,

i got a SMARTCOMM relay kit, wired it as per the instrutions, live wire from starter battery to relay and then out to earth and leisure batterys. i dont have a fridge connected to it yet.

Starter battery dead, leasure batterys full. where am i going wrongi got this kit cos of the good responces on this formum and the easy wireing

HELP PLEASE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts