VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today i was parked up in the van on the school run and next thing, a luton van drives past and took the wing mirror off, didn't stop and just drove off. Lucky for me i got his number and went straight round the police station. Gutted though. Anyone had this before and know i've got any chance of getting anywhere with this or will i be out of pocket. *<:)>

·
Registered
434 Posts
depends on how legal the Luton Van is........ if the police can find it and the driver is legal they will tell him to contact you and make good or prosecute for a failure to stop after an accident

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
in the 9 years iv had my van i must have had 5 new mirrors and about 8 glass iv found that if you set your mirror to how you like it and run some clear silocne around the edge .it stops the glass from bracking when nocked by other drivers

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well today i was parked up in the van on the school run and next thing, a luton van drives past and took the wing mirror off, didn't stop and just drove off. Lucky for me i got his number and went straight round the police station. Gutted though. Anyone had this before and know i've got any chance of getting anywhere with this or will i be out of pocket. *<:)>
I've been unlucky enough to have cars crash into me on two previous separate occasions. On both occasions neither of the drivers stopped and after taking their reg numbers and reporting to the police it turns out neither of them were insured!

You may (or may not I:) be surprised to hear that the police were clearly NOT interested in following up on these uninsured drivers. All they do is give you a crime number for your insurance. One officer actually told me "off the record" that I would be better off pursuing the individual myself (he didn't respond when I said did he recommend I take a baseball bat with me!)

Chances are that your excess on your insurance will cost more than a replacement wing mirror - sorry, but I think you need to put it down to bad luck....:(

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
make that £50 for the electric mirror and then a body shop to paint it. Yeah right only a mirror mate. nice one:cool:

·
Registered
598 Posts
mate same happened to me exept car wash took both mirrors and ariel off, cheapest way ive found is to go vw garage and ask for ur exact car colour code, order a 300ml spray can of it from them £14 ish and then buy a wing mirror of ebay for around 40-50 and prime it urself and then spray, jobs a gooden for around 75-80. hope this helps

vwsurf*<:)>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts