VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got a SMEV 922 combination 2x burner cooker & sink.
One of the gas taps (the small burner) has gone faulty.
The gas flows and it lights and burns OK.
But if you blow the flame out the safety device doesn't cut the gas off.
Anyone know how they work?
Are spares available?

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
They work on the very minute current generated by the thermocouple in the flame holding in a solenoid valve in the back of the tap assembly. That is why you have to press the tap inwards when turning on, that presses the valve into the open position so that when the current flows it holds it in that position.

Does yours not release and cut the gas off after a couple of seconds? They often need a few seconds for the thermocouple to cool before cutting off the gas. You should be able to hear a click as the valve releases.

The common fault is the reverse of yours when the flame will not stay alight.

Maybe try Rainbow Conversions (http://www.rainbowconversions.co.uk/) or Autocraft Motor Caravans(www.autocraftmotorcaravans.com) for spares.

If you have any doubts get a gas fitter to check it out.

Rod

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
The shut off should activate withing 45 seconds. I wouldnt recommend leaving the gas on for that long after you extinguish the flame, but if you turn it off and keep your ear close to the hob you should hear an audible click. Once clicked, you should not be able to get gas out of the burner unless you override it by holding the knob down....I mention this, just in case you havent given it long enough to work. The hotter it is, the longer it takes to go out (but still should be under 45 secs).

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both for the replies.

Sounds like I have a problem.
On the big burner (the one that works) I can blow the flame out and after about 20secs I hear (and feel) the click, the solonoid drops out, the gas cuts off. (Good)

On the small burner flame-out, no click, no cutoff no matter how long I wait. (Bad)

Also initialy on the big burner no gas comes out when I first turn the gas on, you have to hold the tap down until the probe gets hot. (This is as it should be.)
On the small burner gas comes out when it is first turned on, no need to hold it down.(This is bad?)

Still trying to decide what is faulty, the valve or the thermocouple-solonoid.

Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It sounds as if the valve unit is sticking open. It's very unlikely to be the thermocouple as they normally fail the opposite way, i.e. not holding the valve open.

From what I remember the valve / tap assembly is a SMEV item so if the hob is still under warranty it's back to them otherwise see if the part is available as a spare part. Unfortunately SMEV are now part of the Dometic Group and may not be as helpful as they were years ago.

Try here for spares http://www.norfolkmarine.co.uk/shop-online/spares-smev-spares-c-1345_1358-page-4.html?page=4&sort=3a

Rod

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds as if the valve unit is sticking open. It's very unlikely to be the thermocouple as they normally fail the opposite way, i.e. not holding the valve open.

From what I remember the valve / tap assembly is a SMEV item so if the hob is still under warranty it's back to them otherwise see if the part is available as a spare part. Unfortunately SMEV are now part of the Dometic Group and may not be as helpful as they were years ago.

Try here for spares http://www.norfolkmarine.co.uk/shop-online/spares-smev-spares-c-1345_1358-page-4.html?page=4&sort=3a

Rod
Thanks Rod.

I've sort of got it to work by pushing the knob slightly sideways as the thermocouple heats up. It then latches OK and the valve shuts off OK when the flame is blown out.
But it's unreliable. Guess it's worn. Needs a new one, Norfolk Marine don't list the actual part but will give them a call.
Thanks....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts