VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right, i have just started my 2.4d 1994 t4 and it was very lump with blue/white smoke out the back. my brother lifted off the oil filler cap and smoke was poring out. what does this mean? head gasket? oil seals? new engine? heeeeeelpppp

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
It could be quite a few things mate but you may have a holed piston or a failed piston ring I'm afraid.
If you don't know what you are doing get it looked at ASAP.

·
Registered
428 Posts
excessive smoke coming from the oil filler is a symptom of crankcase compression. This is usually a sign of a worn engine. We see this all the time with the JCB machinery we repair. However, the usually keep plugging away.... Blue smoke from your exhaust is also a classic sign of a worn engine burning oil. Best to get looked at by a mechanic to be sure. It can be difficult to tell the difference between the different colour smoke. ie white, blue, grey.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ive the same thing happening in my van since i bought it last september, tis a 98 1.9TD with 222,000 miles. its only when the engine is hot though. I was told this is normal by a friend who isn't actually a mechanic but a fitter for a car place :confused:

What im getting is just white smoke pumping out of the oil filler but ive never had any engine trouble since i got the van...touch wood eh...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Ive the same thing happening in my van since i bought it last september, tis a 98 1.9TD with 222,000 miles. its only when the engine is hot though. I was told this is normal by a friend who isn't actually a mechanic but a fitter for a car place :confused:

What im getting is just white smoke pumping out of the oil filler but ive never had any engine trouble since i got the van...touch wood eh...
Yours sounds like the classic piston blow-bye with worn pistons /bores and as long as you have enough compression to start you will be fine.
The OP's case is different as it sounds like it's just suddenly happened with the bad running. unless I've read into it wrong which isn't unknown.:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no it smokes with the pistons, if that makes sense. so its like an indian sending smoke signals,haha. the engine has done 240000 odd miles and was considering an overhaul anyway. and it is blowing blue/white smoke from the exhaust. how much would i be looking at for a rebuild? ie, pistons, rings, gaskets, etc? and is it worth changing injectors at the same time? also been told that if im doing a rebuild, i should get the cylinders rebored and cam re ground. is all that necessary?

·
Registered
2 Posts

im no machanic either but if you look on the top of your engine to the right there is some round thing that is plugged into the top this pumps in exhaust fumes well from what i can tell, and im speaking from memory gonna go check now its bugging me. follow the tubbing and look for your self. im not sure why it does this would like to know if anybody knows? so this is prob what you see coming out of your filler cap. mine does the same. 200 1.9 TD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts