VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 years of happy camping Swartzblau gave up the ghost and further inspection revealed a three piece camshaft.
So after much sulking and the embarrassment of the old girl being returned home from Cornwall on the back of a transporter(oh the irony) work has to begin.
Never having to work on the van before I guess I will need some special tools.
Can anyone give a description of the tools for the following
1.cylinder head spline
2.Top cam timing belt sprocket bolt
3.Bottom timing pulley bolt.
As the head is probably fubar'd where's a recommended source of head and cam. Would prefer a new head to avoid clearance issues?
Enough questions for now. No doubt loads to follow

Any help gratefully received

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
After 3 years of happy camping Swartzblau gave up the ghost and further inspection revealed a three piece camshaft.
So after much sulking and the embarrassment of the old girl being returned home from Cornwall on the back of a transporter(oh the irony) work has to begin.
Never having to work on the van before I guess I will need some special tools.
Can anyone give a description of the tools for the following
1.cylinder head spline
2.Top cam timing belt sprocket bolt
3.Bottom timing pulley bolt.
As the head is probably fubar'd where's a recommended source of head and cam. Would prefer a new head to avoid clearance issues?
Enough questions for now. No doubt loads to follow

Any help gratefully received
strip the head off before you spend, I've seen 2.5tdi's suvive with a cam & some followers (although I've also seen some absolute disasters....I: )

iirc, the cam pulley bolts are either 17mm or 19mm hex head:*

cannot remember the headbolt size sorry.

the crank-pulley bolt is 24mm hex? and theres a 'special' tool to hold the pulley / crank when loosening or tightening (plenty on ebayT:)

Rich.

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered the spline bits and bottom timing pulley holder kitT:. Will weld up a make shift cam sprocket holder. My main focus will be on the bottom pulley keyway as it seems to be a repeat offender.Both belts are in position and under full tension.
The symptoms were as if the diesel timing went miles out (Like tractor syndrome when the timing module failed on the works Mk7 transit) before the dash lit up and I ground to a halt.

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,957 Posts
Listen to Rich.....(hybrid800)

You MAY be lucky, but these engines are "interference" design.....
If the valves hit a piston.........:eek:

There's normally not much reason for a cam to break, unless a valve (or more) came into contact with a piston.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stripped today and it was crank pulley keyway. Went to rotate the crank to fit the pulley holder and the bolt came undone with a ratchet:eek:.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts