VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would I purchase a snorkel for my 2001 Syncro and how much work is involved in fitting one?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Early series Landrover looks like a good place to start, have looked on some German T4 sites, but not come up with anything yet ?

·
Registered
379 Posts
You'd probably have to custom make it.

However...having off roaded the same era syncro before (and occasionally still do) in a dustier environment than the UK (ie Australia) I wouldn't bother.

If you manage to get the thing deep enough into the drink to flood the air intake then you'll have other issues to deal with (and you may be unaware that the intake can actually nearly fill before cutting off the air intake...plus there is quite a drain in both the air box and the intake box) such as water getting into the cab and risking the ECU (which is at much the same height).

From a dust perspective...it has never been an issue. I just replace the air filter more frequently. The other option is to use the same material as an air filter pre cleaner in a magnetic frame that fits over the intake as required...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Has any one looked at the option of raising the internal airbox?

I measured potential wing vents(top of wing) to the floor and i was over 800mm, i doubt that in the UK you would be any deeper than that, risking interior etc

I was looking at filling in the bottom vent and flipping the airbox, and cutting new holes, just don't like snorkels IMHO

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
if your going that deep you need vent pipes on evrything that could be open to water ingress the gear box has a silly little rubber bung which in a lot of cases is missing so water will go strait in its just not worth it and not designed for it plus you have to cut a hole in your wing

·
Registered
54 Posts
The circular piece on the end is normally a sand filter for dusty conditions, I would probably just fit an open mouth piece ala Landrover

·
Registered
379 Posts
The circular piece on the end is normally a sand filter for dusty conditions, I would probably just fit an open mouth piece ala Landrover
Prior to the T4 I had a 200TDi Land Rover...and I had it fitted with a snorkel - open throat, no dust pod. Mainly because I was young and inexperienced.

It made precisely no difference to the performance of the engine as a cold air intake. Dust wise it did make a tiny difference to the typical lifespan of a filter...but not enough to justify the expense. When you were in convoy...the snorkel actually increased dust consumption because of the dust suspended in the air.

It also caught every overhanging or trailside branch...

In my opinion, a snorkel on a T4 is as valid a proposition as a skiing elephant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Prior to the T4 I had a 200TDi Land Rover...and I had it fitted with a snorkel - open throat, no dust pod. Mainly because I was young and inexperienced.

It made precisely no difference to the performance of the engine as a cold air intake. Dust wise it did make a tiny difference to the typical lifespan of a filter...but not enough to justify the expense. When you were in convoy...the snorkel actually increased dust consumption because of the dust suspended in the air.

It also caught every overhanging or trailside branch...

In my opinion, a snorkel on a T4 is as valid a proposition as a skiing elephant.
That made me smile.

Although I imagine we are talking more about dressing the Syncro with a snorkel for visual benefits over actual performance benefits?

·
Registered
379 Posts
...I imagine we are talking more about dressing the Syncro with a snorkel for visual benefits over actual performance benefits?
Probably...though how anyone can see a visual benefit in what appears to be a stormwater downpipe, bolted to the side of shed that's still waiting for guttering, is a minor mystery to me :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, probably right ☺, newbie excitement, new syncro westy, and wanting the LOOK, could always install guttering around the hi top?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
if your going that deep you need vent pipes on evrything that could be open to water ingress the gear box has a silly little rubber bung which in a lot of cases is missing so water will go strait in its just not worth it and not designed for it plus you have to cut a hole in your wing
thats just a dust cover to the flywheel. I cant recall seeing a breather on the T4 gearbox, but it may have one elsewhere that i didnt see? However the rear diff does indeed have one and would need to be extended, which I have done already as I was down there fitting it.

I am considering a snorkel, not just for the looks, I have a 2.4td, so no ecu or a fussy petrol ignition system... I wouldnt be as bothered if I had the early solid wing type, but the later wing has the air intake quite exposed...

Seano, you have some valid points, and I know your against it.., but for me im thinking about the environment as well. I've brought my banger down under and see the graded tracks (which im heading out into over WA and NT) as more of a dust haven, and after a new engine/rebuild that is one big reason for a snorkel with cylone filter, especially when im in convoy and alot of dust in the area around my air in take. Actually VW specifies a heavier duty air filter, both panel and round for hi dust environments, there's a specific part number for it.

Overall I am weary though and not 100% convinced,,,it may make me push the van further than it can handle, as really, the T4 syncro isnt as good as the T3 syncro or other 4x4's,,,,and a water crossing deeper than the standard air intake poses questions regarding seals. I've replaced some, but to get the inside of my campervan so wet, well, it would destroy my interior and my home :*

·
Registered
119 Posts
A snorkel fitted with a Syclonfilter will allways protect better than without......testosteron looks just a side effect, and I do like the image of the skiing Elephant T:

((However, to let the snorkel go all the way down on the side of the fender will not bee my choise....))

·
Registered
379 Posts
Seano, you have some valid points, and I know your against it.., but for me im thinking about the environment as well. I've brought my banger down under and see the graded tracks (which im heading out into over WA and NT) as more of a dust haven, and after a new engine/rebuild that is one big reason for a snorkel with cylone filter, especially when im in convoy and alot of dust in the area around my air in take. Actually VW specifies a heavier duty air filter, both panel and round for hi dust environments, there's a specific part number for it.

Overall I am weary though and not 100% convinced,,,it may make me push the van further than it can handle, as really, the T4 syncro isnt as good as the T3 syncro or other 4x4's,,,,and a water crossing deeper than the standard air intake poses questions regarding seals. I've replaced some, but to get the inside of my campervan so wet, well, it would destroy my interior and my home :*
We've taken our T4 out into those very environments...frequently. Heck we used to live there! And we've just come back from the Flinders Ranges again. The dust issue is over-rated. Yes you do need to make a little extra effort to mitigate it (like be prepared to bash the filter out occasionally!) but you don't need to be over the top.

Though I did also get a oiled foam panel filter made by Unifilter...never used it though. Still have it too :confused: So I'm guilty too.

I think we get the dusty filters as standard...reminds me that I need another one - mine dates from March 2014.

Yeah it pays not to be too ambitious in a T4 syncro out there. We got into El Questro in the Kimberley no worries but pushed the thing quite hard to get it around many of the internal tracks and it wasn't a fan - one creek crossing was 'interesting'. It still hates sand I:

But it eats long dirt roads easily provided your suspension is top notch...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Hi Seano, hopefully I can make all the crossings of the complete road in a few weeks time, providing the rain hasn't come, will check before hand. Shocks, well Sachs boge HD new last year and some Bilsteins on the back but about four years old and not heavy duty ones, b4 I think? I'm also thinking my rear springs maybe too stiff too :( will let you know how I get on!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts