VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was in b&q treating myself to a new drill A: and they had snow socks £50,anybody got them,are they any good,are they worth the 50 squid ? , cheers

·
Registered
561 Posts
saw these some time ago in Canada. They have every type of snow you can imagine there, winter is quite the experience combined with mountain passes, disappearing roads.

Never used them, but if they work there, they should be good here.

The big deal is ice not snow for which winter tyres are perfectly good. Chains will cut into ice, so it's a case of how these work in icy conditions.

Eastern Canada from Toronto East or Vancouver Island gets much wetter snow [that freezes to ice, quite nasty ice storms aswell] so we could do with some input from our North American cousins really.

Doubt we'll get much feedback over here for a while.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
I expect he'll be along in a bit, but Johneames has used these for a couple of years now. They certainly meant that he could get around easily enough in Scotland, for snowboarding, having driven 400 odd miles to Aviemore, he wasn't stuck in the village having arrived at midnight and could get on and off campsites etc. on his wide alloys in his 2.6tonne California. I expect they will vary in quality, but I will be buying some this winter.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I expect he'll be along in a bit, but Johneames has used these for a couple of years now. They certainly meant that he could get around easily enough in Scotland, for snowboarding, having driven 400 odd miles to Aviemore, he wasn't stuck in the village having arrived at midnight and could get on and off campsites etc. on his wide alloys in his 2.6tonne California. I expect they will vary in quality, but I will be buying some this winter.
^^^ What Dave says T:

These things are truely amazing. I pulled into High Range campsite in Aviemore and there was about 12 inches of snow all round and they hadnt cleared the pitches. I got stuck immediately! Put the snow socks on and drove around the campsite. Then managed to reverse slightly up-hill onto said 12" snow covered grasss pitch with no bother whatsoever.

Chains are probably just as good but on a lowered van with big wheels, one big bump and you'd trash your arches. For the money they cant be beaten.

·
Registered
561 Posts
^^^ What Dave says T:

These things are truely amazing. I pulled into High Range campsite in Aviemore and there was about 12 inches of snow all round and they hadnt cleared the pitches. I got stuck immediately! Put the snow socks on and drove around the campsite. Then managed to reverse slightly up-hill onto said 12" snow covered grasss pitch with no bother whatsoever.

Chains are probably just as good but on a lowered van with big wheels, one big bump and you'd trash your arches. For the money they cant be beaten.
Nice one John.
Do you know what they're properly like on ice?

Snow is fine with winter tyres (as I've used extensively in Canada with my old '87 Westfalia on mountain passes and the like) and the weight of the van really helps. I can't say if they would be good enough on campsite ground with inclines though. Normal tyres don't cut it in my experience.

In Canada you should carry a shovel (collapsible) and a piece of carpet for if you get stuck, almost always works helping other muppets out in their stuck 4 wheel drives.

Also a candle or two and a blanket if you need to be in the vehicle and have to keep the temperature up. You get remote pretty fast out there. Go a few hours north and the wheels freeze with a flat spot against the road!!

SUV's struggle because they have no weight on the rear axle.

The real test is on ice. Chains will bite into the ice and I'm curious to know how these socks work on ice.

Any thoughts?
ta

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I dont think they'd last too long on ice as if its rough ice (churned up and re-frozen) it would tear up the cloth ones. Michelin do a type of sock/chain which is made of woven cord which is probably more durable. They had them in Costco about a month ago for about £65 i think.

I'm off to Canada again to go snowboarding this winter (it'll be my 9th? time over there of which once was at Whistler and the rest at Banff Lake Louise).

·
Registered
561 Posts
I dont think they'd last too long on ice as if its rough ice (churned up and re-frozen) it would tear up the cloth ones. Michelin do a type of sock/chain which is made of woven cord which is probably more durable. They had them in Costco about a month ago for about £65 i think.

I'm off to Canada again to go snowboarding this winter (it'll be my 9th? time over there of which once was at Whistler and the rest at Banff Lake Louise).
just a holiday or for the season?

If you have time, go and check out Castle mountain (go south out of calgary on the 22x). Could also do Fernie while you're down that way.

A lot less 'rocky' than LL and Banff, great hills. Castle is cheaper too.

I could probably sort you out a discount card if you're interested for LL/Sunshine. Usually have to buy them before Xmas.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
We are in a hotel in Banff for 2 weeks (package deal) with no car so Sunshine Village and Lake Louise for us on the bus. Ive looked at Castle mountain before and really like the look of it, but my daughter is 12 and only been snowboarding properly for 2 weeks in Courchevel last year and hasnt ridden powder yet. She's been to Banff 3 or 4 times already so maybe next year we'll get a flight and do some touring. Also want to go to Red Mountain, Kimberly, Fernie, Panorama and back to Whistler before I'm too old for it (probably wont be that far off - I'm 41 in Feb and ache like a ba5tard now).

·
Registered
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
lol. Feel exactly what you know!!

Red is my favourite ski hill on the planet. Period. It's gentrified somewhat since the good old days, snowboarders have pushed out the ski tourers (in terms of ski bums) which is bad for powder days, but it's still a class mountain. Castle is my second favourite. I love the quiet little out of the way gems which have tonnes of character built on quality terrain.

Not so undiscovered anymore! Most stuff is tracked out in half a day now sob sob....

the entire northwest pacific is great road trip country, Washington and BC, and even Vancouver island (wet snow) and have had a few misspent winters because of it. Kicking Horse is pretty good too.

I'm a Louise fan from living in Calgary, the back bowls are awesome but boy do the Rockies need a lot of snow.

Have fun and don't wreck your skis and shut your eyes when you exchange your currency!!

As you know, a bad day on the hill, beats a good day in the office.

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ah thats what this thread was about SNOW SOCKS, thought it was turning into an episode of wish you were here, LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
aye they look good but know what am thinkin, if i get these it wont snow,same as when i get new barbie or garden furniture it rains :*

1 - 20 of 36 Posts