VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well got the week off next week so going to head to Snowdonia. Any one got any knowledge of any good but not to mad walks for a couple of first timers. Also a good camp site/sites. Going to go on monday morning and need to be back by thursday night.
Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks.T:

W

·
0 Posts
Snowdon itself is a nice trek. If you find it too hard there's a rest station halfway, and of course you can always cheat and come down on the train from the new cafe at the summit.

Great views and a pleasant walk. If you want more of a challenge then try the same mountain but use the goat / miners trail.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Got to be Llyn Gwynant:

http://www.gwynant.com/

You can walk from the campsite/small car park nearby at the foot of snowdon and a great route up with stunning views. Campsite allows fire baskets and can't book so just get there as early as you can.

·
Registered
408 Posts
A nice round walk would be to start in Bedgellert and walk south down Aberglaslyn pass (parallel to the A498) following the railway and then turn left towards Nantmor and left again back up Cwm Bychan. You then climb up heading North again and can walk back down into Bedgellert. Probably take 2 - 3 hours if you take it easy, but the last climb down into Bedgellert can be a bit wet under foot and the path isn't that clearly marked but at least you can see where you're headed. Or as an alternative just follow Cwm Bychan all the way back down to the Sygun Copper Mine and then take the A498 back into the village.

If you plan on doing any walking buy an OS map it cout be invaluable.

I'm not sure I'd recommend a walk up Snowdon as ideal for first timers, it's a long walk whichever way you go, the weather is changeable (especially at the moment) and if you end up taking the train it ain't cheap. Better to start with something a bit easier and enjoy it rather than undertake something big that you'll get half way through and wish you hadn't started.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm with Clevely on this one, Gwynant is a great campsite!! There are a few things to take on board though, there's no mobile phone reception and radio's aren't allowed. But the scenery more than makes up for this and there are plenty of decent walks straight out of the campsite. Also if your're into mild watersports then there's a lake on your doorstep, canoes can be hired from the campsite. This is a great area and I'm sure you'll love it and if you do decide on Gwynant I might see you there T:

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Gwynant is a great site, bit OMG it's a little costly.

This site used to be a secret little gem, cheap as chips and full of crazy outdoor type bods.

Well worth a visit though.

Guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont know about the campsite as we camped else where but snowdon is well worth doing, i did it on a mtb on the 6th, it was a hard ride (push) up but the views were awesome, didn`t see many views on the way down though as i rode it from the top, bar the very top ten steps mind, take a good coat as it changes in minutes, i was admiring the views one minute and the next i couldn`t see my mate in front of me, got cold too, so next time i wont have shorts on :D

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys. Looking forward to it now. Will end up clocking a few miles in the van next week now. Down to T4 fest then home to get a change of clothes and swap some gear then head off up to snowdonia.T:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts