VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have been going through the threads and i have baffled my self with the info on hear.
I have a short nose t4 fully converted and i am after a set of alloys.
What do i look for as in numbers for load ratings (i live in wales very bumpy roads) and is it on the wheel.
17" or 18" which is better/cheaper for tyres.
And how low can you go with what rims.:*
Sorry about this but i have confused myself.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
might have the option to get a set of 245/45/18 wheels and tyres off an a4 estate (i think)

·
Registered
543 Posts
My personal opinion, but I think 18's don't give you enough comfort, I currently feel every little bump vibrate through my spine!

I'd go for 17's with a higher profile tyre, especially if you're local roads are rubbish....

Or even 16's, but I don't think these are as readily available as 17's...

. o O 0 ( I must be getting old! )

·
Registered
626 Posts
18's look cool, but 17's will be better.... I got 17"" rims with 225/50/17 on with 98 XL load rating, nice comfy ride.... better than the 225/45/17's I had load rating only 91 with gaping rips in the sidewalls! :eek:

·
Bercow fan club
10,247 Posts
Hi i have been going through the threads and i have baffled my self with the info on hear.
I have a short nose t4 fully converted and i am after a set of alloys.
What do i look for as in numbers for load ratings (i live in wales very bumpy roads) and is it on the wheel.
17" or 18" which is better/cheaper for tyres.
And how low can you go with what rims.:*
Sorry about this but i have confused myself.
Buy these and you won't go wrong, not as bling as 17 or 18 but the ride will be great and bumps and potholes won't be a worry.

They'd be mint with a 100 quid or so spent on them IMO T:

I have 15 factory spec rated alloys on my bus, have had for the last three years and never had a problem with any road surface :)

Depends on whether you're after the look or the ride I:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=256717

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
18's look cool, but 17's will be better.... I got 17"" rims with 225/50/17 on with 98 XL load rating, nice comfy ride.... better than the 225/45/17's I had load rating only 91 with gaping rips in the sidewalls! :eek:
do you get much trouble with aqua plaining :eek: with the width of tyre? spoke to the garage and he said thats why the bloke took the 245's off.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think i will go the 17 route as better ride and selection of tyres.
Is the load rating stamped on the wheel? or is it a case of trial and era or even hunting it down on the internet.
Thanks for replies helped loads.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
do you get much trouble with aqua plaining :eek: with the width of tyre? spoke to the garage and he said thats why the bloke took the 245's off.
I wouldnt have thought he would
I run 245s up front and 255s rear with no problems
As for 18 and 17 i run both and to be honest theres not a lot between them comfort wise T:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was in the same boat not long ago. Seem plenty of folk ain't too worried about the load rating but with a full conversion plus camper gear I am. The way I see it is they are the bits that hold you to the road and stop you. I'd say the more rubber you have the better. Buy hey, I'm far from being an expert on this.

Also if, heaven forbid you do have a bad crash, having incorrectly rated tyres and alloys would invalidate your insurance (thats provided they actually do check them after, but if it was a bad one I'd say the would) and prob land you in the brown stuff with plod:eek:

Good luck finding wheels bud as I'm still searching but I'd go for safety and quality well before looksT:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts