VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What mods can be done to make an 88hp van quicker, how far can you go, how much do they cost and what negative effects do they have on reliability?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think the general opinion is that its cheaper to folk out on a 2.5 version?

But i also would like to know whats worth doing on performance around the £400 budget mark

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2005 84bhp T5. You're riht they are too slow, I had it remapped to 130bhp fo £150 in Pontypridd S.Wales. The guy said this is he highest you can go wihout effecting reliability or putting excess stress on the engine. You can go for more bhp, but thats when problems start to occur apparently. I also get an extra 80 miles per tank because if driven sensibly it revs much lower; now it revs around 2300rmp at 70 instad of 3000. So swings and round abouts really.

I was told when getting the rempa done tghat the van should be serviced every 10-12k miles, instead of every 20k miles standard vw guide).

RAGE:*

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have a 2005 84bhp T5. You're riht they are too slow, I had it remapped to 130bhp fo £150 in Pontypridd S.Wales. The guy said this is he highest you can go wihout effecting reliability or putting excess stress on the engine. You can go for more bhp, but thats when problems start to occur apparently. I also get an extra 80 miles per tank because if driven sensibly it revs much lower; now it revs around 2300rmp at 70 instad of 3000. So swings and round abouts really.

I was told when getting the rempa done tghat the van should be serviced every 10-12k miles, instead of every 20k miles standard vw guide).

RAGE:*
Really?

Very surprised at this. I've had my last four vehicles remapped, and while I quite agree that driven sensibly it will give you better fuel economy (and the other extreme too, driven hard you get worse!) the bit I am surprised at is your statement about revs vs speed.

The revs required for a given speed are a function of the gear ratios in the gearbox, determining how many turns of the engine equate to a turn of the driven wheel etc.

The only way to change this would be to change gear, or change the diameter of the driven wheel, etc etc. A remap won't change your gearing in any way, the same number of engine revs will still be required for any given road speed.. though the extra power will get you there faster!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
now it revs around 2300rmp at 70 instad of 3000.
think you'll find it allways reved 2300rpm @ 70 ,3000 @ 80,like thay all do map or no map,as Bascule said
only changing wheel size's and gearboxs will you change the rpm/speed :*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts