VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of advice needed please.
I am looking to get a T4 , hopefully a LWB version but thats not cast in stone, and one of its uses will be to tow our Caravan now and then.
The caravan has an all up weight of 1400kg so van weight wont be an issue , but the question is which engine. I would initially guess the 2.5tdi ,but the wife's 2ltr golf TDI is an ace towing machine. So now I am wondering if the 1.9 tdi could be ok or is that going to struggle given that the van is heaver than the car.
Has anyone any experience in this field.

Simon

·
Registered
795 Posts
Your wife's golf will have 140bhp and a 1.9 t4 will only have 68bhp and will struggle up hills on its own never mind trying to drag 1400kg behind as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never thought of the BHP . So 2.5TDI it is then. Now are there any different engines or are they all the same. Is there anything to keep clear of.
Thanks for the help

Simon

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,419 Posts
As Nelly says above the 102bhp would be the better choice.

The 2.5tdi came in two versions. 88hp and 102hp. Blue i and silver i respectively. Although power in both engines can be raised to 150hp with reasonable ease.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Silver it is then.
Is the power increase basically as simple as have the ECU remapped. I had the one in my Transit done by Vantuner for a lot more torque in the 2k to 2.5k rev range , took out the ECU and sent it to him.

Are there any more good places to look for vans. Here and the Bay is where I have looked so far.

Thanks Si

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,419 Posts
For tuning have a look at the Project Power thread in the T4 engine and gearbox section.

For vans look at auto trader and gum tree too.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Silver it is then.
Is the power increase basically as simple as have the ECU remapped. I had the one in my Transit done by Vantuner for a lot more torque in the 2k to 2.5k rev range , took out the ECU and sent it to him.

Are there any more good places to look for vans. Here and the Bay is where I have looked so far.

Thanks Si
Basically on the 102 its a set of injectors & a re map, to prob get u up to 130+
Then de cat system & egr blank will help push it over 150 T:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Basically on the 102 its a set of injectors & a re map, to prob get u up to 130+
Then de cat system & egr blank will help push it over 150 T:
Thats all nice and simple then.

Thank you all for you help, at least I have a bit more of an idea what I am looking for now.

Simon

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi - I have a 2.5 lwb T4 and on occassions tow a caravan. Be careful if it has been lowered as I have to remove the jockey wheel when towing. Also check that the rear wheels are clear of the rear arches when loaded. No trouble with power although the consumption drops a fair bit.

Have fun

Pete:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi - I have a 2.5 lwb T4 and on occassions tow a caravan. Be careful if it has been lowered as I have to remove the jockey wheel when towing. Also check that the rear wheels are clear of the rear arches when loaded. No trouble with power although the consumption drops a fair bit.

Have fun

Pete:
That is a good point, never thought about a lowered van and the snags that go with it. T:T:

I can imagine the consumption drops. My 2ltr transit drops to mid to low twenty's, the wife's golf is better at around thirty.

Simon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts