VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ready to get started on the engine, but have no socket set. had a good look and have no idea whats good for the money. Got about £50 to £60 to spend, is this cheapy cheap or mid range, i have no idea help please... draper, halfrauds, i dunno.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trade card you say... who, where, when, what do you have to be to get one. i'm a teacher, i bet that doesn't count. anyone in the chesterfield area with a trade card want to buy my socket set.

anyway off to halfords, me thinks!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Blag it, I did. Although I am also an aircraft engineer, I had no evidence or ID on me, just go in and ask for one. Say you work in the VW garage nearby or something. It will work better if you've got the tools you want in your hand ready to buy......

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
when i was at college a few years ago a few of us went in there and asked for trade cards and they gave em no questions asked! jus ask at the parts desk!

Personally, i think you cant go far wrong with halfrauds sockets - you could spend thousands on snap on etc but at the end of the day a socket is a socket if you bust any of them you walk in there and they replace it on the spot for free, ive done it without a reciept a coupla times, that being said ive given my halfrauds tools a lot of abuse and they stand up pretty goodT:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm not a fan of Halfords, but I must agree that their socket sets are very good, I've had a set for a few years now, and they are very well made and the ratchet makes a great hammer/pry bar, what I'm trying to say is that I have abused mine and it stills works as good as the day it was bought. I think I paid about £40 for a 30 piece kit in a plastic box.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
I am a paramedic and i have a halfords trade card:D All you need to show is an invoice in your name for work done for a 'customer' . I did a quick invoice on word detailing work i had carried out on the other halfs golf and took it in, got a card and get up to 50% off some stuff!T:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the plot thickens... moo ha ha ha ha ha ha (evil laughter in background)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
For that money i'd go for a set they sell in Costco, you need a card or maybe you know someone with a card.
Most of my tools are snap on but I bought my dad this set for fathers day, its a massive set for the money and all the sockets and ratchets look really good quality. Its made by Crescent in the usa and has a lifetime warranty on parts.

The link below is an ebay ad for the set which someone is obviously buying from Costco and selling for £80, but in Costco the set is about £60. comes in a decent case to keep all the bits where you need them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CRESCENT-211-...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

·
Registered
152 Posts
as above my tools are mainly snap-on, mac or britool but they are in use all day long so i dont mind spending the money but in the van i've got a taskmaster socket set brought from unipart for about 25 quid you just need quality in the ratchet idealy with a push button socket release saves you trying to pull the socket off the ratchet with greasy hands.T:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got a set of halfrauds ratchet spanners and there excellent, i use them daily, but be careful of the lifetime warrenty as its pretty much worthless, it did'nt cover the ratchets or moving parts, not sure if this is the same on the socket sets but was defo the case on the spanners as stated in the gumph that came with them. Worth checking out first

·
Registered
229 Posts
i have built my tools up over a number of years, i would not recomend a set of tools that is everything in one box, i.e sockets, allens, torques, drivers etc etc. it is highly likely that some of the bits will be ****.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i have built my tools up over a number of years, i would not recomend a set of tools that is everything in one box, i.e sockets, allens, torques, drivers etc etc. it is highly likely that some of the bits will be ****.
I'd agree with that - you'll also end up with stuff you never use.

I had both my sockets sets nicked a few years back, a big cheapy halfords 1/2" set, and a Teng Tools 3/8" set (which was mainly for my bmw bike). The replacement I bought was a larger Teng Tools 1/2" 10-24mm set, ideal for van work, and still have my cheapy 1/4" halfords set (which the thieves turned their noses up at) - full of miniature sockets and screwdriver/hex bits.

I also bought a set of Halfords pro ratchet spanners to work on my sister's Citroen - and I'd agree the quality is good (and all that hydraulic fluid probably keeps them shiny).

If you want mega-quality and willing to buy bit at a time, there's some real ebay bargains to be had on the upmarket brands - Stahlwille, Facom (and check out French diy stores if you get the chance), Britool, SnapOn, Teng etc.

Some larger spline and hex bits are needed here and there on vans too.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
i've got one of these halfwits jobby!

slightly more than you have to spend but if you can hold out for a sale or get a trade card you should be laughing! it's got just about everything in you could need for roadside repair work and more!

·
T4 Custom trailer maker
1,916 Posts
I have exchanged ratchet spanners in halfords before ?? I only buy from them now as its good stuff and a no quible warranty.
I have a atrade card too which covers most things

1 - 16 of 16 Posts