VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if there is an software update for the t5 180, I get such poor mpg and very little power compared to my old 174.
I need help or its a gonna.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I normally get 450 out of my 140 before the light comes on, most was 490 but it was 81 litres to fill:eek:

Should be getting my 180 soon:cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
What?! A big selling point of the new T5 GP is better fuel economy (and one reason I'm thinking of buying new). Are there any other people getting these sorts of figures in the new 140/180s?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I normally get 450 out of my 140 before the light comes on, most was 490 but it was 81 litres to fill:eek:

Should be getting my 180 soon:cool:
In fairness, mine is a LWB Kombi with 4 roof bars (not that they seem to make much difference to economy IMO) normally has 4 guys, plus tools and sits a bit faster than 70I:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What?! A big selling point of the new T5 GP is better fuel economy (and one reason I'm thinking of buying new). Are there any other people getting these sorts of figures in the new 140/180s?
I was getting over 600 miles from a tank with my 174, I am so disappointed with this van, no radio signal no power, and over £180 for each tyre, 9500 miles between service lights. The big selling point for this van is economy, but its working out to be very expensive indeed.

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
I'm sitting at 32.2 mpg at moment 607 to the first tank I worked it out (can't afford to fil tank in one hit) 140 kombi

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sure i read somewhere on here that a guy in ireland was getting his 180 4 MOTION software updated by vw, sure it was in the engine section under slow180 or something. Maybe you could find it and pm him??
My solution was to risk warranty issues and have remap (pendle). Had rolling road test prior to remap which came out at 171bhp 189 after first remap.

Ignoring the above figures, i can confirm after 10k on the clock the modded van is leaps and bounds better after the remap. IMO its the way the van should have come out from the factoryI: Not sure what i get on a tank of fuel, will have to try to remember to check. Service is signalled to come at about 19k on my van.

For my money still the best van on the roadT:T:

·
Banned
293 Posts
Did you not test drive the 180 and realise it was gutless compared to the 174, or were you blinded by the pretty dials and sexy lights? Roof bars will affect mpg. I took them off my old 174 and got 5mpg more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sure i read somewhere on here that a guy in ireland was getting his 180 4 MOTION software updated by vw, sure it was in the engine section under slow180 or something. Maybe you could find it and pm him??
My solution was to risk warranty issues and have remap (pendle). Had rolling road test prior to remap which came out at 171bhp 189 after first remap.Ignoring the above figures, i can confirm after 10k on the clock the modded van is leaps and bounds better after the remap. IMO its the way the van should have come out from the factoryI: Not sure what i get on a tank of fuel, will have to try to remember to check. Service is signalled to come at about 19k on my van.

For my money still the best van on the roadT:T:
As I understand it this is completely the opposite from the original T5s, most of them made more power than was claimed by the manufacturer, it seems now they short change the customer instead

With this in mind its possible that a standard 174 may well have more power than your remapped 180.......?

·
Registered
278 Posts
My pendle dpf deleted and remapped 174 does 520 miles from full to fuel light and gives 203 hp at the wheels ( 220 hp at the clutch ), the sad thing is that the strong and powerful 2.5 5 cyl engine is no longer made but replaced with a 2.0 car engine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Did you not test drive the 180 and realise it was gutless compared to the 174, or were you blinded by the pretty dials and sexy lights? Roof bars will affect mpg. I took them off my old 174 and got 5mpg more.
:D:D:D You caught me out, pretty dials and sexy light every timeA:A:A: I moved up to VW from the Vivaro 2.5 sportive soI:

Since i wanted a new one and the top spec engine, choices were pretty limited. Still love the van and spend at least 2 weeks out of every month living and sleeping in it, no complaints from meT:

·
Registered
320 Posts
As I understand it this is completely the opposite from the original T5s, most of them made more power than was claimed by the manufacturer, it seems now they short change the customer instead

With this in mind its possible that a standard 174 may well have more power than your remapped 180.......?
Not being at all mechanically/technically minded and just looking at the figure i would have to say yes possibly. On previous threads the tech heads have made various assertions as to bhp and torque and stuff which left me for dead. I guess the answer will only be resolved by putting the 174 and the 180 on a track and running them side by side. I last drove a mapped 174 about 3 years ago so have no real comparable experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts