VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a cheap 12v 1.5W solar charger. I just wanted to keep the van battery charged up while it's going to parked up for a fortnight. However I just put a volt meter over the chrger and it seems to be putting out 21v is this right ? I figured it would be about 14v but 21 seems a lot more.

Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
That's with no load, so as soon as you connect a battery it will pull it down. You should really use a solar regulator but if it's only 1.5W then it won't make a difference but make sure it has a diode to stop the battery flowing into the then solar panel.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Blaster, It was purchased from Maplins and says it cannot drain the battery by back feeding...or words to that effect.

I was hoping to see my built in volt meter go up a little with this plugged in but maybe it puts out so little the digital v meter won't show anything. Maybe I'll hook up my proper volt meter whne I get home....then again it's dark then !

Thanks again

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,638 Posts
It's actually got no chance of CHARGING a battery bigger than about 5Ah!

1.5 W is probably not even as much as your radio, normal van electrics and the standard discharge rate of your battery will be using 24/7.

A 10 watt panel would be more suitable if you only want it to maintain your battery.

Saying that, my van spent 6 weeks buried under snow, and still started with no problems.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one of those 12W breifcase type panels which I think comes with a regulator/contoller. Maybe I'll just use that instead. Makes me wonder why I bothered buying the 1.5W panel ....Doh !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts