VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new here. I have recently been doing a van conversions and fitted a leisure battery (140ah). I also fitted a durite 140amp split charger. Everything working fine. My issue or question has come after I have fitted my solar panels renogy 2x 100watt panel and victorn mppt solar controller 100/20.

The charge from my solar panels is enough to bring the battery voltage (leisure) above 13.35v this then causes my split charger to come in. ( I am assuming this is normal and it is sensing either way). Thats all fine but if I then go to start my engine my batteries are they both connected? It's surely going to draw current from my leisure battery. I haven't actually done this as I don't want to blow my 65amp fuse on the split charger.

Has anyone else had this issue or found a way round this?

Thanks.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
On balance, it's good! It means that your solar panel will charge both your leisure battery and, when there's enough solar output to get over the split charge threshold, the engine battery too. So if you need to lay the van up for a couple of weeks, neither will go flat on you.

The (potential) issue of starting when the split charge is connected depends a little on the wiring between the two batteries, but typically the wiring is much thinner than the cable from starter to engine battery, so the cable's own resistance is likely to limit the current that can flow from the leisure battery + solar charger.

You may also find that a voltage sensing device detects a sudden drop in voltage on one side and drops the connection, though I don't know if that's true of the Durite VSRs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts