VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Solar panel mounting

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  nbsurf 
#1 ·
I bought 2 solar panels from maplins recently as they've got a sale on them.

I'm currently just opening my sunroof and trowing then out on the roof, but then i've got cables hanging down and i have to take them off before driving.

So I was thinking of fitting another sunroof with clear glass and fitting them behind that (a bit like my old audi s8 had) or even fitting some dummy rear windows (or even in the back doors) and mounting them in there.

just wondered if anyone had done either of those options and if they were effective?

#3 ·
solar panels work best when they are angled directley toward the sun so you may not get the best out of them by mounting them flat.

i do the same as you and put mine up on the roof but have one side raised up. still have to turn it round as the sun moves round during the day though

also if you do mount them permanently, you must still disconect them somehow before starting the engine as backfeeding the solar panel from the alternator can damage them.:ILU:

#11 ·
The guys at Southwest Conversions had a T5 at the North Devon regional meeting a few months ago that had a large solar panel bonded to the rear roof panel - very neat too, you wouldn't know it was on there unless looking down on it from above. I know he was saying that the cheaper panels are not really up to the job and they had installed customer supplied panels in the past with mixed results. Might be worth giving them a call, they are very helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.