VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest some decent solar panel makes/models? Just about to buy mine shortly and want to make sure I get some decent ones.

Ideally I’d like 2 x 100W panels (to run 2 leisure batteries) that can fit side by side on the back end of the roof just for aesthetic purposes instead of one big one, but that’s not an absolute necessity.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Ta, Nicole 👍🏼

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm about to do the same as you, 2 leisure batteries and therefore approx 200W of panels, so I'm following this. I'm particularly interested in how the panels are attached to the roof and how the cables pass through the bodywork into the interior.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Hi, Take a look on utube , give you a good idea ..if it was me i would go with several Monocrystalline panels linked together incase one has a problem then you can bypass , mppt controller .

If you are looking at flexible panels leave an air gaps for cooling when fixing, for safety dont forget to fit some fuses on battery feeds

I am sure some might think outherwise..bit like wine red or white..lol..

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I'm about to do the same as you, 2 leisure batteries and therefore approx 200W of panels, so I'm following this. I'm particularly interested in how the panels are attached to the roof and how the cables pass through the bodywork into the interior.
GLAND.jpg ON ebay ..black, white, or red

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I had a 120w semi flexible panel on may last van. Sold a few weeks ago. I had this connected to an moot controller to a 110ah battery. Was more than capable of keeping my battery charged. I was only powering heater, lights, fridge and charging mobiles. Will be fitting a similar setup to new van soon

·
Registered
29 Posts
After an hour on you tube I now know how to fit the solar panels.

Before I go buy them, are there any makes or types to go for? or to avoid?

·
Registered
175 Posts
After all the horror stories of failing flexibles I went for a Renology 160w rigid - it fits perfectly between my pop-top fixings, so is mechanically connected via brackets, no adhesive. It really kicks out the power, even on overcast days i'm getting 4-5A.

The ePever MMPT xTra at £50 from bimble is very good as well. It is all so good i have disconnected my split charge for now.!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest some decent solar panel makes/models? Just about to buy mine shortly and want to make sure I get some decent ones.

Ideally I’d like 2 x 100W panels (to run 2 leisure batteries) that can fit side by side on the back end of the roof just for aesthetic purposes instead of one big one, but that’s not an absolute necessity.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Ta, Nicole 👍🏼
Im keen to get one too for our T4 and after a bit of googling came across this which looks great for the money:

·
Registered
40 Posts
ls, so I'm following this. I'm particularly interested in how the panels are attached to the roof and how the cables pass through the bodywork into the interior.
I had two cheap chinese 100w flexible solar panels mounted to my roof with VELCRO. Yes, 3M heavy duty velcro (50mm strips). Worked perfectly for 3 years before I upgraded to a bigger panel. No drilling, no holes, etc..

As for the wiring, run the cables down the rain gutter, down next to the tailgate strut, then into the rear lights and through the existing rubber grommet into the van.

You can also get these ("Strong Adhesive Backed Mounts Cable Tie Mounts" US $1.78 15% OFF|Strong Adhesive Backed Mounts Cable Tie Mounts Wire Tie Base Holders Screw Hole Anchor Point Provides Optimal Strength for long|Cable Clips| - AliExpress) to stick to the van roof and then use cable ties to help keep the solar cables neat.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts