1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

just found what i think is a pretty good buy, a 80 W solar panel

it just comes as a panel ??

what else will i need to charge a Leisure Battery ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
As aboveLOL:

Need a charge controller/regulator and mc4 extension cable (pair) if that's the connectors the panel has on it. Plus a way of mounting it ( brackets )

What panel have you got?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Here's the 10A version of the regulator I have. eBay number 261082501087
Extension cable item number 251126539215 , just cut the cable into 5m and you have your pair thenT:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
That looks fine to me fellaT: all the above items mentioned will work with this panel. At 4.5A rated I'd expect around 30amps + back in a battery on a lovely summers day if the panel is to be layed flat on roof.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks fine to me fellaT: all the above items mentioned will work with this panel. At 4.5A rated I'd expect around 30amps + back in a battery on a lovely summers day if the panel is to be layed flat on roof.
cheers mate

its only for lights and charging android touchpads , so 30 amps will be plenty

we are not going to get a fridge, as we do not really have enough space and a cool box with ice packs / frozen milk last us 2 days

·
Registered
668 Posts
Well worth it, my panels are my favourite addition to my van.

Just replaced my20a regulator with a 20a mppt controller which is far more efficient.

Can run fridge (on high)/stereo/lights/chargers/eberspacher etc off grid indefinitely.

With the price of panels now it's madness not to have them!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Well worth it, my panels are my favourite addition to my van.

Just replaced my20a regulator with a 20a mppt controller which is far more efficient.

Can run fridge (on high)/stereo/lights/chargers/eberspacher etc off grid indefinitely.

With the price of panels now it's madness not to have them!
Your not wrong there! I'm still using pwm controller but will upgrade to the mppt version soon. It really is unbelievable that I can have my 240v fridge running off the inverter all day and still having full batteries for the night.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Your not wrong there! I'm still using pwm controller but will upgrade to the mppt version soon. It really is unbelievable that I can have my 240v fridge running off the inverter all day and still having full batteries for the night.
Using an inverter and a small domestic fridge seems a much better option than a waeco at £400, food for thought.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Using an inverter and a small domestic fridge seems a much better option than a waeco at £400, food for thought.
Better value for money but always less efficient. An inverter has a certain guaranteed wastage of power. If you can afford it, a 12v fridge without an inverter makes long term sense.The only reason 12v fridges are pricey is because they are mainly sold to the boating/horse/yachting community..... who have lots of money.

When it comes to solar efficiency, you want appliances that are as efficient as possible. If solar becomes so cheap that is doesn't matter (which is happening) then the main concern becomes how much space you have on your roof, which is always limited.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Better value for money but always less efficient. An inverter has a certain guaranteed wastage of power. If you can afford it, a 12v fridge without an inverter makes long term sense.The only reason 12v fridges are pricey is because they are mainly sold to the boating/horse/yachting community..... who have lots of money.

When it comes to solar efficiency, you want appliances that are as efficient as possible. If solar becomes so cheap that is doesn't matter (which is happening) then the main concern becomes how much space you have on your roof, which is always limited.
I see your point, I just have trouble getting my head around spending £400 plus on a small fridge. I did find this,
http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/refrigeration/Waeco/coldmachine-series-80-fridge-kit69.bhtml?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=Waeco_ColdMachine_Series_80_Fridge_Kit&gclid=CIr286ivkbICFUQLfAodNyEANA
make your own fridge, Waeco compressor flst plate evaporation unit for £93. I haven't look into it or if the do a smaller because this one is for upto 170 litres. also I found this
http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/refrigeration/Waeco/coldmachine-series-80-fridge-kit69.bhtml?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=Waeco_ColdMachine_Series_80_Fridge_Kit&gclid=CIr286ivkbICFUQLfAodNyEANA
how to build a fridge unit in a boat. I haven't had time to delve any deeper. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Have you got any recommendations for a cheapish mppt ?
Mppt controller eBay item 251097610635

If its to much cost wise for now then a pwm at about £15 will do the job. You can then change over at a later date if you want.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I see your point, I just have trouble getting my head around spending £400 plus on a small fridge.
That's why I spent £50 on 240v fridge and inverter Instead. I know what's been said about been less efficient but now I have the solar panel it makes no difference.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just stalked ebay for a while and bought an old looking coolmatic 12v compressor fridge for £85. Then I replaced the front panel and it looked like new :) - I too refuse point blank to pay £400-600 for a fridge!

Tip - search ebay for boat fridges, barge fridge, horse box fridges. The catch is that most people insist on collection only. If you are patient you will land a compressor fridge for less than £100

Had one guy selling 24 of them. I negotiated £85 each!!! to buy the lot!. I then got greedy and tried £75 - by which time some one else snapped up the lot :-(

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
So, living in Scotland where it can be a touch cloudy, what sort of output would I get under overcast skies? Anything?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts