VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Is there a maximum area of solar panel(s) you can fot to the roof of a domicile (house to you mate)? H:

Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
fot, what the heck is fot? Of course it should have been fit.T:

Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
do you mean solar or PV?

solar for water heat and PV for electricity.

Solar installations only go up to a certain size (unless you are planning to run a hospital HW system or summat)

PV installations can fit the entire roof so long as the roof structure is strong enough and so long as you don't live a protected area where limitations will apply by your local friendly neighbourhood council T:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Yeah. No more than a 3.8kw system apparently. We are doing research on putting them in garden at momentT: I read a 4kw system actually puts out around 3.8kw. The grid can only cope with so much electricity going backwards, hence the limit. With more houses having panels, the national grid would apparently go bang if everyone was pumping 10kw back to the power stationLOL: as long as you don't go over the kw you can fill your whole roof with them!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey mate,

I've never heard of a max area of coverage, but not really my field of expertise so stand to be corrected.

Near me there are rooves with total coverage in both solar panels and the alternative solar tiles.

I would think main consideration is weight and type of roof construction you have to support that weight.

Hope this helps.

Ed

·
Registered
515 Posts
Just had solar pv installed at my parents house. A 4 kw system is the limit for domestic, it's limited by the available feed-in tariffs. Anything more would be considered a commercial installation and would be paid at a lower rate. The rate is gradually going down every quarter. My parents install was on an ideal, south facing, unshaded roof. They installed in November and just received their first cheque for £40, about what we expected for winter. They should get a return of around £200 per year for their £7k install roughly equivalent to 3% interest if it sat in the bank, plus they get savings on their electricity bill.

B.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all especially v-dubz (I'm sure I've typed that out before)! With benoflondons costs it would take me 35 years to see any clear profit! :eek: (I ain't got that long on this stinking planet - due to go somewhere warmer). Rasp:

Cheers and thanks to all once again. Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
515 Posts
yeah, the costings work out a bit better than that when one accounts for the savings made from electricity usage but it's certainly not a way to make money. The FiT used to be over 40p a kwh but its around 11p now and dropping.

B.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks benoflondon, I was forgetting about the reduction in your own electricity bill.

Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
691 Posts
We have solar, but got in when the FIT was high 43 pence per kw.

I know it may be obvious but make sure you run high consumption electrical stuff in the day to maximise your return. (We do have to remind ourselves from time to time.)

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I have a 4kw south faceing system built on my garage roof . Fitted a solar immersion switch two weeks ago .Seems to work so far.The system is I think 4years old the tarrif is 0.48p per kw.Last year it produced about 100kw more than we used.When did the rate drop to 11p?.:*Surely its better to put pv panels up than build neuclar power stations.Im looking at fitting a night storage heater to store the unused power.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It's been dropping rapidly. I guess the thing is that when the FiT was 43p, panel installations were much more expensive and electricity was cheaper. If you're a heavy daytime user it's almost worth forking out for an installation just for the free electricity.

Interestingly it appears that a "4kw" system should produce an average of 10kw hours per day over the year - almost exactly the same amount that my parents use. The tricky bit is that some days in the winter you need 15 but make 5 and in the summer vice versa.

Don't say batteries.

Somewhere the sun is always shining, or the wind is blowing or the tide is coming in.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You forgot to mention - it is always hotter underground. (geothermal energy) Cheers, I: Tony.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts