VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can pick up a single LG Neon 2 Black 300W panel for £250 delivered from Rexel Energy Solutions. The 'CELLO' technology makes it really good in low light too so ideal for cloudy days, and more than enough power to keep battery topped up even with the 240V stuff.

The spec sheet suggests voltage is 37V instead of 20V so will need a decent MPPT controller. 17.5kg seems pretty heavy to put on a fibreglass high roof but should be ok. Its pretty big too - 1640mm by 1000mm, although I've got a LWB so plenty of room.

Has anyone installed a domestic panel and if so Is there anything else I need to consider? How did you mount it? Thanks!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am hoping to install mine this weekend. Going to bolt two l shaped full length brackets to the sides an then VHB tape them to the roof. I only have a simple charge controller so will need to upgrade to an MPPT controller.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found some white brackets including cable run on eBay for £26.95 - should be simple enough to glue these down. That's one problem solved T: eBay link https://goo.gl/L44FPV

Ordered the 300W LG panel and a Victron MPPT controller, so just need cables and a ladder and I'm ready to electrocute myself :jiggy

·
Registered
639 Posts
VHB tape strong enough on its own (without bolts)? I've never used it before but 'easier to get off' sounds like a sensible idea!
Never used the stuff either but i think id be reviewing that statement.

"Easier to get off" could quite easily translate to 'not man enough to hold a 17kg 6 foot sheet of metal and glass on the roof on the motorway'

Please post your reg number so that i can avoid following you.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It's not that easy. You need to use something like fishing trace line as a cheese cutter so split the foam tape then use solvent to remove the glue residue.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks, so VHB tape is out unless combined with bolts. Do you think Sikaflex is strong enough on its own (using the plastic mounts in picture) or would you always drill holes in the roof for bolts? Bearing in mind mine is going on a fibreglass high top roof. :confused:

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
Sika Flex will be fine, just clean all surfaces well with a solvent first. I have 6 x 100 watt panels sikaflexed on my fibreglass roof and they have been there for 5 years!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts