VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
You mean so you can charge backwards in effect. Putting the power back into a battery through the cigarette lighter rather than use power from lighter socket. I going to say no as the power going back through may be more than the cable at the back of your lighter socket can handle. If that makes senseT:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Just looked at your link. 100% don't do this. Connect the solar panel directly to the battery or batteries. You van electrics will not like you trying to put power back through the socket:D

·
Formerly known as "dzv0ry" (but nobody knows why)
1,221 Posts
They're quite interesting. Been thinking of solar for the van for a while, but just about to get a man cave (big shed) in the garden that I was going to install 12v lighting and a battery in. This could be used for both purposes T: A:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking at these as a temporary measure really. I'm weak and have been tempted by the dark side, gonna sell the T4 next year and get a T5 so I don't want to spend to much more on the van although I suppose it would add to the value. This way I can experiment as see what works best. I live in Jersey and don't do that much driving to charge batteries. Solar seems the way forward, for me anyway. I want to see how much difference positioning makes to solar panels.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I can tell you from when I was testing mine that the positioning of a panel by even a few degrees has a big effect. Obviously I had no option other than lying it flat on van roof but given the the time and money I would have installed a solar tracker system onto roof rails on van. That way the positioning of panel is automatically adjusted in direction and tilt to aim directly at sun.
If setting up on an shed roof or so then I would make adjustable frame so in winter you can move it for optimum performanceT:

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
I use a small panel as a battery tender, and bought the M & F bullet connector, hard wired to the batter terminals ( I put a 2amp fuse on the +ve ) so I can quick connect it, after proping it up on the dashboard

Should have passed the fly lead through the firewall, and made it even easier to use !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts