VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all

I was driving along yesterday when all of a sudden I lost power during acceleration. Changes up the gears fine, idles smooth, but will suddenly decide to drop power under load as if it's trying to limit itself somewhere in 2nd or 3rd and flutter, with throttle pedal unresponsive until you snatch a new gear. I had to kangaroo home, it was fine one minute jerky the next, but it got me there. No excessive smoke or anything. oil level 'seemed' ok - about 2/3rds. If it were a petrol I'd be looking at the plugs or coil pack...but it ain't.

Bit weird..hayulp! T4 ABL 1.9TD - cheers in advance.

John

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Saw this on a rival forum post about the turbo actuator rod - might give it a go, seeing as I just bought some!

Spray silicone in and push the rod repeatedly down against the spring until you can feel the mechanism moving freely over its entire travel range without sticking, and you're fixed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: So there it is - turbo actuator was seemingly the one.

I almost cured it with 2 tiny squirts of silicon spray to the rod joints (controlled with rag to ensure direct hit + no overspray as I didn't want it catching fire later)! Test drive 20 miles and only got a couple of tiny jolts on heavy load, which it overcame. Yesterday was barely any traction at all.

I will do this spray once again when my turbo has cooled later - if I'm lucky, it might even cure the issue completely. Photo stolen from someone on this forum and edited to show where I sprayed.

I love old engines!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts