VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a van, (I have finally got the guts to do it after wimping out on buying a T4 a couple of years ago) but have a few questions to help me find what I need.

1, panel van or half glass are there insurance advantages to having a half glass one with the rear seats

2, reliability, go on are the t5's really that bad?

3, 1.9 103ps will it tow? it needs to be able to tow a mini on a trailer so that's about 1.5 tonne maybe more, it is man enough?

Anything else people can suggest recommend?? I have been considering a T4 as well but prefer to looks of the T5..

·
Registered
26 Posts
ive had my T5 for 3 weeks now and cant stop looking at it lol... its a beauty to drive too, ive got a swb 2.5 shuttle 9 seater, i wanted the 2.5 as the engines have a cam chain instead of the cam belt with the 1.9 engines so a huge thing not to worry about failing, i was looking at T4's as i love the sporty look of some but lots have told me they arent as pleasurable to drive as the T5's, i just wanna drive my T5 all day ;)

·
Registered
585 Posts
I,ve driven both T4 and T5's and T5 comes out on top in my opinion, although as above i love the look of some T4's T:

As far as reliabilty, the T4 owners will say T4's are better, and vice versa for T5 owners, i think each van has a mind of its own, and yes there are some bad ones around that keep letting you down, but in every forum you'll find people saying their vans gone wrong, thats what the forums for T: only 1 thing to add to that, try signing out of here for a day, come back and press new posts, then count the T4 problems then count T5 problems, see which one wins LOL:LOL:

Towing advice..... sorry bud i havnt got a clue Rasp:

·
Registered
26 Posts
ive had my T5 for 3 weeks now and cant stop looking at it lol... its a beauty to drive too, ive got a swb 2.5 shuttle 9 seater, i wanted the 2.5 as the engines have a cam chain instead of the cam belt with the 1.9 engines so a huge thing not to worry about failing, i was looking at T4's as i love the sporty look of some but lots have told me they arent as pleasurable to drive as the T5's, i just wanna drive my T5 all day ;)
forgot to mention - mines a 2006 plate 1 owner with 185,000 miles on the clock with full service history

·
Registered
561 Posts
can't talk about T4's, but the multivan does look pretty nice - more cost than a bare van.
The T5 is very nice indeed, the 2.5tdi is a great engine (5 cyl), some love the 174 but the 130 seems fine to me (can be retuned at Pendle). Plenty of people like the lower powered 4 cylinder aswell, though its a completely different engine and experience.

Lots of people have drive shaft issues on the T5 (splines wearing, both shafts drivers side) so check for any snatching or jolts on putting it into gear or on pick up. Some gearboxes do end up being overhauled (mine!), rear main bearing / syncro rings.
Older gearboxes apparently had a riveted top gear (5th) and rivets would break and wreck the box but there's plenty of posts on this stuff.

The DPF (post 2005?) - equivalent of the cat but in a diesel exhaust system - is a pricey bit of kit. Sensors sometimes have issues in these and they're a bitch to remove.
Plenty have the innards of the DPF and sensors removed and an ecu remap for better performance and mpg but its illegal, though its another expensive job if it has to be replaced.

Personally, I think there's no such thing as a trouble free VW but that's probably true of all vans, they each have their own 'popular' stories. People do fall for their VW's though, far more than other makes.
If you go for a relatively recent one then I would say consider a decent drivetrain warranty and do a bunch of miles to worm out any issues. If not, then clearly a vehicle has to be maintained and this forum is excellent for advice on parts/suppliers and even mechanics and diy advice. You can't own anything for free though, just be pleased that it can't nag you.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input so far guys.

I've looked at this one this morning,
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...ry=vans&channel=DEALERPAGE&id=201107379803419

It looks like a tidy van no dents never painted clean inside (for a van anyway.. I guess I'm going to have to accept its not like buying a new car) I didn't test drive it but I will do before I buy.

I want to convert it into a camper but slowly jsut start with insulation, carpet, heater and an air bed T:

am I best giving up on finding a tailgate version? I can't seem to find one!

I assume I can remove the rear bulkhead? is it just bolted? :*

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome to T5 world. I've had my 2.5 174 for a few months now & love it. I have half side windows & a tailgate, with seats in the back, it didn't make any difference to the insurance. I prefer a tailgate as I'm also converting to a camper & I use my tailgate to hang a solar shower off. She really is a joy to drive & I've had no problems at all. I thought the 2.5's were chain driven however, I recently found out they are actually gear drive, which is even better & the sixth gear is so good. The tailgate vans do seem to be rarer but I held out until I found the right van, so it may take a a bit longer to find if that's what you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts