VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this should be in the Conversion section or here, but as its about a modification (albeit a small one) I thought it was better suited to this area of the Forum, anyhow.....

Early this year whilst planning my Eberspacher D2 Airtronic air heater installation and gathering all the bits I would need, I decided not to do the normal thing and use the supplied cold air inlet assembly for the internal re-circulation that is sometime placed in the driver door step insert, but get hold of a OEM version as fitted by VW also fitted to the drivers door step insert (originally suggested by my mate who owns a garage).

Trust me when I say this may not have been my brightest idea to take up his suggestion as it almost all went a bit astray when it actually came to fitting it on the day! We had the van up on lift at his garage - all the underside protection covers removed (how many bolts and fixings ?), fuel take dropped etc. and we realised that things didn't exactly line up 100% in relationship to where the D2 was mounted and the OEM cold air intake assembly I had brought and mounted.:eek:

But to cut along story short it all came good in the end and everything worked fine on trip to the Highlands of Scotland about a month ago - Even though the cold air intake pipe has a few more bends then Eberspacher recommend I:. It all works fine and no issues to date, it may be because the OEM internal cold air intake assembly has at least twice the surface area of the supplied air intake that comes with the kit, and is designed for a 90mm conduit (I stepped it down with an adapter I found on Ebay).

I could of purchased a pair of new/2nd hand Kombi/California or similar door step inserts to use the correct cold air grill cover solution, but I decided to be a bit different and the price of both 2nd hand and brand new was another bit of expense I couldn't afford at the time, and the end solution was cheaper.

Having another contact/friend who can produce laser cut custom grills (has done work for Noble Automotive limited) out of ABS I asked him if he could produce a custom grill cover for the hole that the air inlet pipe that was now in behind the drivers door step insert. Which he did a splendid job of producing for me (Thanks Damian T:)

Bonded on some plastic fly screen mesh I had left over from another project to the inside of the hole in the door step, to prevent small bits getting sucked into the D2, then stuck on one of the vans brand "FootPaw" logos ( bespoke 20mm diameter resin self adhesive domed badge type thing) to the centre of the grill that my mate had allowed for in the design, and finally bonded the grill onto the door step insert.

Pretty happy with the result.

So as they say "a picture speakers a thousand words", or in this case 9 pictures....

Note - the white stuff in the first few pictures is just a sheet of paper I placed behind the hole to show the shape of the hole better (i.e. contrast), it obviously was removed prior to re-fitting the step insert.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Nice work, we just bought the step insert from a Cali , and mounted the flush 60mm adapter behind in the step well, 2 bends in total.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts