VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just done something stupid, l was getting the van set up to go away for the weekend.

Put some stuff on load are of high top and there was a loud crack.:eek:

The crack is about 12inch long, there is a slight gap, looks like a pencil line, just put some sealant on it to keep it watertight as an emergency.:confused:

Anyone got ideas of how to repair? :(

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
i read this earlier but dont know much about fibreglass,but thought you would have had an answer from someone before now
a lot of people are away at camperjam so maybe slow response,do you have any boat yards nearby ?? someone with a bit experience better placed to advise

·
Registered
372 Posts
Put some stuff on load are of high top and there was a loud crack.

je nais compronde pas... load area??? i take it that its fibre glass. patch up with fibre glass and smooth back? once fibre glass goes it tends to go... howevever i am not an expert in this in fact i've just come back from the pub I:

·
Registered
140 Posts
use some surfboard repair resin
http://www.surf.uk.com/acatalog/dingallsunfib.html
cheap as chips and really easy to use. nice and smooth on and then wet and dry sand paper to get in smooth as you like. Sets like rock.
If it makes you feel any better I drove my T25 van high top into the pay booth barriers of the mersey tunnel. had to let all the air out of the tyres and crow bar it out!!!
Good luck!
T

B

·
0 Posts
before you fill /repair it drill a smal hole at each end of the crack or it'll just get bigger

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes - drilling holes stops the crack "growing", but then you will probably have gel coat repairs to do - also paint if its been painted...

When we repair damged GRP - we dremel out the crack to give something to actually fill. Key up the back surface and reinforce with new glass (CSM - Choppy) repair kits can be found online - ebay or in halfords and its pretty simple. Once set revert attention to paint/gelcoat surface, if lucky enough to have the gelcoat use that to repair small cracks but unlikely so normal car bog/body filler will be fine, flat back and paint.

Sounds like a lot of work but the paint/finishing would be slowest part...

Would love to lend a hand but I am down on the Isle of Wight.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
There are some good sites if you search on the internet ref glassfibre repair.
Once it cracks you will always have hairline cracks reappearing unless you grind away to the mat and repair with more matting before filling and sanding. You would also be advised to take a look on the other side and reinforce with matting if there has been any structural breakdown.
I know it sounds a bit overkill, but I promise you it's the only way to avoid those lines coming back. I have repaired Lotus and Scimitar bodies, boats, surf skis and boards and I hate it when you have to do the job a second time!
Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts