VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally managed to get under the bonnet for the first time since buying the van and couldn't felp noticing that something's missing after comparing to pictures that I've seen on here.

(sorry for the poor photo, it's near impossible focusing when it's pitch black out)

Now as far as I know this is an ABL ('96 1.9TD - P reg), but all the ones I've seen (including a mate's) has part of the EGR located between the coolant drum and the oil filler tube. I also can't quite work out where it has been blocked off, if it has been removed already...

Cheers.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
After a closer look i think it did have an ABL motor in the past as the turbo heat shield is still present.
The 1x engine does not have an EGR system

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Engines been changed in that without doubt.. So unless you were told which im guessin you werent your not gonna know mileage either :* Hope you didnt pay much for it :eek:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correction. I'm going to find somewhere in London/South East to do this for me as I can't get any time off before April (when I was planning on going away with it) and don't have any garage access.

Any ideas? I'm not having much luck with Google.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I've been well and truly fleeced. It was listed in the ad as a TD and the V5 states it as a TD. I wasn't told; and like you said, I don't know the mileage on the engine

To put it one way, it wasn't the cheapest; a bit under the 4 grand mark.

Now I wondering whether to make the changes with the DVLA, put it through a new MOT and try and sell it as the 1.9D that it is. If that's the case, I'm resigned to the fact that I'm not going to get what I paid for it.

You live, you learn I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts